Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
carrguerr

Network

I have a pc with Redhat 9 running and connects directly to the internet via cable modem. I want ot connect my winxp to linux so that it can have access to the web, but I cant figure out how. Redhat is installed as a server. I put two net cards on it and it disables all the conections, saying something about errors (cant ping 192.168.0.1 or 10.x.x.x) and disables the netcards. Im using a HUB to conect the pcs:

Linux - Modem - Winxp ... all conected to HUB

One of the LAN conections is an onboard chip , the other a net card. Both have the same chip. so its not about drivers. Oh ... and Im very new to Linux. id apreciate a lil help.

Ok, let's see if I have this correct. You have a hub, cable modem and 2 NIC cards.

What chipset are the NIC cards and onboard LAN?

This is how I have mine set up. All with cat 5 cables. NO usb!

1. Cable modem ---> Primary Router connection.

2. Win XP via NIC --> router

3. Linux box via NIC--> router

To danleff:

this is how Im setup:

Modem -->> Hub

Linux -->> Hub (realtek Chip 8100 SMC )

winxp <<>> Linux (crossed wires to Realtek 8139 C)

No usb all cat5. If I take out the Netcard (one is an onboard LAN card -- Realtek 8100BL but the system gets it as 8139 SMC EZ card. This is the one that gets the outsideline), Redhat can connect to the web. But if I install the other card (this too is a Realtek -- 8139 C) it disables everything saying that it cant ping localhost or my ISP.

I'm no networking guru, but I believe what you want to do is have everying connect to the router. Not machine to machine. If you connect all the systems to the router, you should be OK.

The onboard NIC will be the default, probably unless you disable it in the bios. So, if you are trying just to connect to the web, try the scheme that I outlined.

One card in each box (of course not in the one that has the onboard NIC) all to the router. Linux only likes to be connected to a router (except for the real network experts).

I had the same issue. If I tried two cards, I had to set the default card in the network manager and disable my nForce onboard card in the bios.