Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bart

Can't install RC1!

No matter what I try I can't get RC1 installed. Right after the first file copy process, just as it's about to go into the GUI section of the setup, it just goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor (I waited 25 minutes). I tried installing it off the cd as well as the hard drive, I tried upgrading from Win2k and a clean install. I took out any peripherals that I don't need so here is what is left in there:

Duron 750

Epox 8KTA3 motherboard (KT133A)

512 MB pc133 RAM

MSI GeForce2 mx-400

3Com 3C905B-TX PCI NIC

TDK veloCD CDRW

13 GB WD

20 GB WD

Any ideas on what I can do to get this installed? If ya need any more info just let me know. Thanks in advance.

Bart

its hard to say what your prob is, take out that nic, and try to remove some ram, make sure you have the latest bios revision...etc...etc....it could be alot of things, try those, also tweak your bios, turn off PNP OS and bios shadowing....any of these "could" be a factor.

If your overclocking turn the speed of your system back to the default speed. This includes any bios memory tweaks you've implemented. OS installs seem to always be very fragile when it comes to overclocking.

Thanx for the ideas, got it fixed though. I had to take out the MSI GeForce2 mx-400 and use a Diamond Viper v770 to get XP installed. Then I put the other video card back in and all seems to be going good.

I have exactly the same problem, but the screen is entirely black on my PC, no cursor. This happens after the keyboard lights flashed and the HDD stopped responding. I exchanged the graphics card, and all other add-on cards, memory, etc. No effect frown

I had the exact same prob and I figured it must have been Video related

so I just took an old isa card lying around and it works perfectly and guess what: i also have a GF2-MX 400.

It works with other GF cards though, so I guess it just lacks some sort of support for these cards.

ps after the install of the OS I just popped the GF back in and it works like a charm

I had to remove the DVD-ROM player, then it worked?? Wow I hope MS solves this random problem soon! smile

I CRC-checked the ISO, and that ISO was valid according to CRC.exe, or do you mean that i have to check the CD-ROM? I also used Isobuster to unpack the ISO on Harddisk, but that gave the same problem

yes you should check the CDROM too.

crc f:

or d:, e: whatever your cdrom drive letter is.

Hm the burn is valid too...I think my DVD-ROM drive is too crappy for windows XP (bad ACPI, bad DMA support i don't know frown

Had the same problem. Burned 4 CD's to be sure. Ran CRC.EXE against both the ISO and the CD's. All valid. Ran the setup up until the point where it blacked out on an Intel machine with a Voodoo5 in it, no problems.

Did find something interesting. When I didn't load the HPT370 drivers (hitting F6 during install), instead of just a black screen, I'd get blinking, unreadable ASCII characters. After yanking everything out of my machine (except for the video card), I still had the same problem. In frustration, I hit my keyboard (not TOO hard) and I noticed that the pattern on the screen changed. <gasp!> It's alive! So... using what I remember from Beta 2 and my bazillion NT and Win2k installs, I go through the steps to create a 10Gig NTFS partition, and voila'! It worked! And once the GUI portion of the setup kicked in, it was back to normal.

Definitely seems to be a video issue of some sort.

Tom