Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampyr

No 3D Sound support in XP with SBLive!

Everytime I enable 3D sound with environmental effects in a game, be it EAX or DirectSound, I get weird distorted noises. Then the sound totally cuts out. Sound works perfectly without 3D support. I am running WinXP b.2481, SBLive, 512mb RAM, Dual P!!! 1Ghz on a ASUS CUV-4X motherboard. Is there a quick fix for this? I will be upgrading to RC1 once my preview program notification arrives. I'm hoping that will fix the problem. Please don't reply to this thread if all you have to offer is "Buy a different SOundcard." I will not buy another soundcard because every multimedia/game sound card on the market blows big time when it comes to audio recording.

3d sound support is only supported by OS specific drivers and the default ones don't have this support. So what you have to do is wait for CL to release XP drivers. Im not 100% sure but i know my 2k SantaCruz drivers don't enable EAX, and A3d and DS3d support in the OS.

You can install Liveware 3.0 for Windows 2000 on XP. The only catch is you need to replace the DEVLDR32.EXE with the version that comes on your copy of XP (i386/drivers.cab). Expand the cab and find DEVLDR32.EXE and copy it to a temp folder. Then boot XP into safe mode. Run the task manager and click the processes tab to make sure DEVLDR32.EXE isn't running. If it's running end the process. Then you can just copy the XP version of DEVLDR32.EXE to the /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32 folder and replace the Creative Labs version.

This fix remedies the system stall you will encounter when trying to shutdown or reboot. All the functions of Liveware will work properly.

Hope this helps smile

MINz

I installed Liveware 3 for win2000 on XP RC1 (and changed DEVLDR32), but now I can't AC3 pass through to my DTT 2500 decoder. I worked before with the original driver. Any ideas? Thanks!!

Heres the way to get it all working right in RC1.

Do not uninstall the drivers included with RC1.

Also do not install the LW3 that is for win2k.

Instead grab the liveware 5.1 for win2k files off creatives site.

Its around 17Mb. These were designed to work with the newer

Emu10K1M.sys file version 3300. These versions of the Emu file have solved alot of problem for people in win2k with crackling, lockups, etc and also work in SMP.

Once you have the liveware 5.1 then extract the files and run the files like this , example if you installed them to C:\sblive

Go to start , run, then type C:\sblive\SBL51.exe /w

The /w at the end tells it not to check which version card is installed.

When it is installing, you will get a pop-up saying the WDM drivers are not certified, etc. Click STOP installation. This will prevent the RC1 drivers from being overwritten. Then just let it finish and it all should be working. Nothing else needs to be done.

I've tried this with RC1 on the very first sblive value and it works great. All features working and you don't need to change any of the drivers installed.

Exactly where on Creatives site are these liveware 5.1 drivers? - 'cos I've been looking around and the only Livewire files I can find are the Liveware 3.0 for Win2k ones? frown

I tried those drivers, and it didn't seem to do anything except mess my mouse up, meaning that it couldnt start-up on boot-up ;(

Will see how it goes before ditching the OS and starting again.

The solution Mwork provided lets you use the updated Emu10K1M.sys file. This is a much better driver than the old so I say scrap installing Liveware 3 like I previously said and follow the instructions below.

To get your SoundBlaster Live to work properly in Windows XP do the following:

DRIVER: http://www.soundblaster.com/scripts/down...i/SBL51_W2k.exe

NOTE: You can use this driver for any version of the SoundBlaster Live sound card. (Value, MP3, 5.1..ect)

Just follow the instructions below.

1) Make sure you are running the SBLive drivers(M$Driver.) that XP installed.

If you have already installed previous Liveware software go to Control Panel/Add/Remove programs and remove it.

2) Make new folder on your c: or D: drive and name it "sblive".

3) Put SBL51.EXE, SBL51.W02, SBL51.W03 and SBL51WDM.LIB files in the sblive folder.

4) Go to the Device Manger/Sound, video & game controllers and remove:

Creative SB Live! (WDM) & Creative SB Live! Gameport drivers.

5) In a start/run box type - c: or D:\sblive\sbl51.exe /w <---the "/w" switch is very IMPORTANT!

6) When the installation prompts you to replace the RC1 drivers with the unsigned Creative Labs drivers

click "STOP". The installation will continue. (Sometimes you aren't prompted to install new drivers

but this is not a problem.)

7) When done installing the updated drivers - REBOOT

8) After booting to the desktop screen windows will detect new hardware. When it finishes REBOOT again.

9) Now you have sound!

If there is anything I missed or needs cleared up let's get these instructions as complete as possible.

MINz