Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
doctor_no

HELP! Windows 2000 Pro won't install

Hi group,

I am having issues with my PC.

I have ABit VA6 PentiumIII 600MHz computer which is running Linux and Win98 at this time. Recently I tried to upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro, but everytime installation crashes (BSOD) and I have to start over. I tried to use SP2 version but the result was similar, I also tried removing all OS's before installation. I know my hardware is fine because I was using on it for over a year now. I got my memory checked at the local shop as well. So it must be some kind of incompatibility thing with my motherboard or settings in my bios. Here is a complete description of my PC.

Processor: Genuine Intel Pentium III MMX, 600MHz(133)

Motherboard: ABit VA6 (VIA Apollo Pro Chipset)

BIOS: Award BIOS 4.51PG

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 128MB(133)

GFX Card: ASUS GeForce2 MX/Deluxe

SND Card: Onboard AC'97 Codec

HDRW: IBM Deskstar IBM-DTLA-307015

I talked to ABit, Abit sent me to VIA (makers of the motherboard chipset). VIA sent me back to ABit.

I don't know what else to do. frown

Thanks

Yes, there certainly is an issue that's not liked by Win2k, as it is much more sensative to anything screwy.

I haven't looked at the mobo, but if you have an extra IDE (onboard or separate card) or SCSI, you need to have the drivers, txtsetupoem and whatever else relates to Win2k.

Off hand I can't say what exactly your problem is. However, myself or some other knowledgeable soul here might get you fixed up if you could post what the BSOD's message is and any files it names--if any.

List the number codes too---pretty much everything listed on the screen.

Make sure you are running the latest BIOS for the VA6 (version XQ). There were some Win2K ACPI issues that were resolved in one of the previous BIOS updates, so this latest one may fix it. Otherwise try installing with ACPI turned off (IIRC, hit F7 when it asks you to "Press F6 to install SCSI drivers").

http://www.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/bios-va6.htm

At which point in the install is it crashing? What error are you getting on the BSOD?

Win2K installation crashes on the last screen

i.e. when it says "Saving Registry Settings..."

Yesterday I was able to install Win2K SP2 completely (disabled bunch of stuff in my bios (thanks I upgraded to XQ). However... after rebooting, before it starts loading up into gui (i.e black screen with horizontal striped line) it crahsed with the following error message that goes something like that:

... the following file is missing or corrupt

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

People are saying that it could be my ram. I am suspecting that also, but this is weird because I run Linux and Win98 on this computer for over a year on absolutely the same hardware with no problems. It must be some weird way that NT works with memory.

I dont know about Linux, but Win9x uses RAM from the top down (starts at the upper area), NT/2k use RAM from the bootom up.

Check all Bios settings. The 15-16 Megabytes memoty hole must be disabled to avoid crashes in Windows 2000.