Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SHS

I just some bad news about 3dfx and WindowsXP

I am unable to get Glide to work in XP..I dld the w2k drivers and am able to play UT in D3D but when choosing glide, the screen becomes scrambled and a restart is needed.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :-)

I for one think nVidia should make or hire someone to or let MS do the driver as a show of good faith, at this point I sure don't wanna buy into a company that with such an addatude. Right now a Kyro II based card is sounding much better since I need something cheap and half way good for XP,

Anyway with that said anyone tryed RC1 with a V3 and had any workings?

To be honest, you have known you were going have to replace that voodoo card for at least a year now. smile

Not that I don't agree with you that nvidia, 3dfx, and microsoft should work this out, ASAP. Since there are a *lot* of legacy voodoo cards out there in use by people who don't inhabit these newsgroups and bulletin boards, for example. Is MS going to put a "bad voodoo" sticker on the box somewhere?

I suspect that all of the people with rights on that driver source code wanted just one thing to release what is clearly useless code to them for a dead architecture...money. And MS probably said "hey, we are paying for the engineers to fix your code...you should be splitting those costs for us." It always comes down to money somewhere, and I can't for the life of me see why any of the legacy tech holders would restrict nvidia from passing on code that no one but MS (and a million customers who paid their salaries for years) can do anything with or even cares about...

So I think the licensee issue may be a red herring or a convenient legal justification since nvidia surely wants to force the replacement of voodoo with nvidia tech while they own the market...simplest explanation makes the most sense to me.

watch this one develop...

:}

Quote:

So I think the licensee issue may be a red herring or a convenient legal justification since nvidia surely wants to force the replacement of voodoo with nvidia tech while they own the market...simplest explanation makes the most sense to me.

I agree, NVIDIA certainly wants to push its own technology, and can you blame them? 3dfx in their haste to leave so quickly "should" have worked out all the red tape with the source long before they decided to eat their young and curl up and die, but they didn't.

3dfx Wasn't concerned enough to think about the people, and why should anyone else. Some tend to forget, NVIDIA and MS did not kill 3dfx.

3dfx killed 3dfx.

yes, and lest we forget that it was 3dfx's own greed and arrogance that told all their OEMs to f**k off when 3fdx bought STB and took over manufacturing of all their own boards and chips. They did this when they owned the market and within a very short time they were a footnote. I loved my SLI voodoo2s but 3dfx lost the race through their own decisions...

I think that NVDIA's action of not giving the source of the 3DFX drivers to MS is actually wise move on their part. Sure, they will cripple all the Voodoo 3/4/5 users who want to move on to Windows XP, but those users can get on the bandwagon with an inexpensive Geforce2MX at $99. Why would you carry on and on a dead horse, which is what Voodoo/3DFX became once they were bought. I own 3DFX products and the issue is not they were not a bad company. They were just like netscape... whom did a great job at the dawn of the web, but this is a dog-eat-dog world. And only the strong survive. What happened to Netscape is just what happened to 3DFX. So why tag a long the dead horse.. there is no need and like someone else said NVDIA is not winning anything out of 3DFX.. Also more along we have seen this behavior everytime Microsoft decides it's time for US the users to change OS. What happened years ago when people were still in Windows 3.1?? And MS decided that we needed to change an OS?? They bumped Windows 3.1 and in came Windows 95. This has been going on ever since we know it. So in the end my kudos go with NVDIA, if 3DFX Owners don't like it, then tough.. buy a new card or change to MAC.

my .02 cents

You seem to miss the most important thing for an OS is compatibility and hardware support. There are tons of voodoo users out there that will have problems when they upgrade to winXP.

It is vital for an OS to install seamlessly and support the current hardware out there.

Win XP is a very important OS, and efficiently locking out all glide and 3d support (and 2d?) for a brand of very popular card (voodoo 2) is terrible. What will they do, go out and buy a geforce? what if they dont know how to upgrade their computer? what if they've never been inside their computer? what about the glide games they love so much?

Microsoft have been very nice to nvidia to let them develop XBOX so I feel nvidia should be nice to microsoft and work together with ex 3dfx employees and get glide working in winXP. It would mean day and night for many, many users out there!

There IS HOPE for 3dfx users!!

just get rid of M$ crap of u PC's

and isntall linux-mandrake 8.0, the 3dfx drivers are Open Source, and updated often.... FEAR NO MORE!

now you may wonder... but not all my games runs in linux?

if there were more users of linux, companies would make MORE software (games) for it...

visit www.lokigames.com and take a look smile

and please

don't be soooo closed minded, and give hell to M$

why using unstalble expensive junk that slowdown your rig? made by an un-ethical dude, THERE IS NO SENSE!

and one last thing....

the frame rate in linux is A LOT MORE higer than in windows (with 3dfx cards) with nvidias is the same or with the latest 4.1.0 XFree86, u can have 3 or 4 more frames per second than in any flavor of winblows.

if you are a true gamer...

if you think that framerate is everything for olnine gaming

if you want to control your PC and not been controled by an OS....

download linux-mandrake!!!

or buy it... if you do, you will resive tech support unlike... well you know M$ right?

thats the only difference between the download and the purchased version... tech support

and get ready to feel the speed of linux!!!!!!

WOW!!!

I have many many games on a box.. some I cannot play anymore.. what about great game classics like Ultima that were meant to play on DOS and Windows 3.1? Hey I can't play them anymore so what? I store them and keep em. People need to move on to new technologies and 3DFX is not the last of the worlds greatest technology.

Still if 3DFX people want to hold on to their memories there is still linux, which like a the guy here just expressed it is getting even greater to play games in it because it is very fast.

I guess I missed that one.. Linux is a very good and strong platform for playing games with outdated hardware.

Linux has a bunch of emulators of all sorts, maybe u can try those games with wine and others... I been playing SNES stuff with OpenGL

support (for get rid of pixelitation)

we can make Linux grow... it is laking of games right now... just too few of them, that can and will change if there are more users, u 3dfx

guys, give it a shot before trashing a fine product just because an stupid OS is broken and can't be fixed...

my rig

Linux Mandrake release 7.2 (Odyssey) for i586 Linux 2.4.4 | CPU: Pentium III (Katmai) @ 551.253 MHz | Res: 1024x768 pixels /w 24, bit

gfx | Mem usage: 212.9 of 249.6 mb (85%) | Swap usage 0.0 of 188.2 mb (0%) |

GeForce 2 GTS

Monster Sound MX300

US robotics fax modem internal PCI

and a awesome intellimouse USB... cant resist

that one, they make great mouses not OS's

"Still if 3DFX people want to hold on to their memories there is still

Linux"

Linux is the future, one purchase, eternal upgrades, Linux if for

people that really want it make the most out if their rigs.... if

there is people here that likes to overclock their CPU's, why waste a

load of CPU cycles with that bloated kernel of winXP? in fact.. Linux

keeps cold the CPU for 3 to 5 degrees Celsius!

and one last thing , excuse my poor broken English

Right, so I can watch my framerates drop while running Half-Life through wine. No thanks.

And you're complaining about bloat in MS OSes? ... Mandrake and Red Hat are true bloatsville.

My current Linux system (web server, ftp, shell box, net gateway):

Debian GNU/Linux "Sid" with the 2.4.5-ac22 kernel

Intel Celeron 300@338

Memory: 191312K total, 169060K used, 22252K free, 24440K swap used

TNT2 Pro AGP

Despite all your claims, Win2K on my "Linux system" (way back when) ran faster than XFree86 4.1 w/ Gnome, w/ KDE, w/ Wmaker, w/ Blackbox ... you name it (lets not even talk Enlightenment). Perhaps it had something to do with Red Hat being utter crap. Mandrake 7.2 wouldn't even install (crashed right out of package selection). This is supposed to be stability?

My (current) Win2K system:

T-Bird 1GHz

1GB PC133

Voodoo 5500 64MB AGP

(I had actually installed XP RC1, then downgraded once I found out about the sad state of 3dfx support)

All you people saying this is a good move, obviously don't own a 3dfx card so you are speaking out of your ***.

If you want to kill off any potential customers from buying your product, then this is the perfect way to do it. Do they actually believe any current 3dfx owner is going to EVER buy an NVidia product now? Highly unlikely.

They will just switch to NVidias competition, whoever it might be, even if the card is slower.

I totally see now why Microsoft kicked NVidia out of their DirectX9 meetings.

I'd also like to add that NVidia purchased 3dfx. Therefore any REPUTABLE company would support the customers they just aquired. Its common business sense.

Obviously NVIDIA is one crappy company. I hope Microsoft never lets them back in on DirectX9 development... then their current customers of their nvidia cards will ***** why their cards don't work right with DirectX9.

I have a Voodoo 5 5500 and playing games on Windows Xp is so crappy!!! When ever your playing a game in DX mode, cause glide and all the other opengl stuff doesnt work, all kinds of blue screens and shutdowns come up. It sux, they better fix the problem by rc2 at least. Thanx for screwing me over Nvidia. And Im not getting rid of my V5, just cause they are trying to force me to.mad

rapina you have have good point about mandrake but linux has very poor hadrware support not count the min other hardware deivce out there, I can even get it to mandrake8 been I have all usb mskeyboard, msmouse, intelwebcam then there my msjoystick & mswheel, my keyboard will not work even with bios set to usb keyboard from OS to bios the funny thing is BeOS works.

Also arioch is rigth there to much to carp in to both redhat & mandrake for cry out loud 2 CD haven help you if ever need to compile something that wasn't done rigth in the frist place.

Then there that so call RPM installer it still blow been 95% of time you need to recompile it anyway.

So you see this is Gee Toys nothing more.

That only hand full game at lokigames about the other millin games

forget wine maybe win a 5ghz CPU roll out but not in tell then hehe.

Well Gambler FEX online that what nVidia count on is getting all voodoo own to buy there product that read in as $$$$$$$ MS went us give us more time been there are just to min voodoo owner out there & min of them will need build a new system or get stuck with PCI card, It be cold in h@ll before I give my Abit BH6 BX motherboard for a new video card after all you need very latest mother board to support the new AGP bus.

And we all no BX is still the King of chipset out there after all DDR is just now stating to beat the BX chipset but to min of the mother board have to much build on hardware ekkk.

Min of voodoo own will be piss about WinXP and no 3dfx drivers not ever 2D drv mostlike they will just stick with what they got for now.

Well DrLove you may have a good point there but I hate tell you this but Geforce2MX is cripple as well it an't funny I may well buy a ATI Radeon non cripple hardware at half the cost.

Yes RedBadger I thougth was fuuny as h#ll to hehehe.

you call 3dfx a company? fisrt they f*cked themselves by screwing over their OEM's, then they screwed over their loyal customers (like i was) when they took forever to release a card that was a year too late, i sat around with a Voodoo 3 2000 and waited for a new card to come out that would kick an NVidia card's a.ss .... did that happen? NO! The poor ba.stards ran out of money and had to sell their <sarcasm>company</sarcasm>.

Quote:

All you people saying this is a good move, obviously don't own a 3dfx card so you are speaking out of your ***.

If you want to kill off any potential customers from buying your product, then this is the perfect way to do it. Do they actually believe any current 3dfx owner is going to EVER buy an NVidia product now? Highly unlikely.

They will just switch to NVidias competition, whoever it might be, even if the card is slower.

Let me open the hood off my doorstop pc... hmm what do I got here.. looky looky it's a Voodoo Rush... from Intense... who was made by Intergraph.. darn.. and I thought it was a trident all this time..

Seriously, what you say about 3DFX owners jumping to the competition even if it's slower is pathetic. I mean come on.. It's not a frigging religion it's just a video card.. get a grip man. As a former Voodoo owner I wanted to have the best card in the market. I realized that when 3DFX made their Voodoo 3 line still 16bit.. Morons.. Yeah so what if games were not ready yet.. I didn't want to wait till games were 32bit compatible to then buy a new card, that is when I dumped 3DFX and went NVIDIA..

I own as well a Radeon 64MB DDR. This card is powerfull but it doesn't run most games well. It's good if you are into Photoshop and some video stuff. I don't change my GeForce card for anything.

I don't think that NVDIA will be out of DirectX 9, any closer than hell won't freeze over. NVDIA powers the X-Box, and I am sure X-BOX will be able to run on upgrades of Direct X, so we will see them ther esoon enough... NVDIA is the new power in 3D Graphics performance and that is why microsoft chose them.

The reason NVDIA is out the DX9 Preview?? Publicity stunt... :>

Quote:

Because they didn't sign the NDA...

I forgot to say that.. wink

Quote:

I'd also like to add that NVidia purchased 3dfx. Therefore any REPUTABLE company would support the customers they just aquired. Its common business sense.

Obviously NVIDIA is one crappy company. I hope Microsoft never lets them back in on DirectX9 development... then their current customers of their nvidia cards will ***** why their cards don't work right with DirectX9.

You are so much full of it.

NVDIA POWERS he X-BOX. You think Microsoft is going to argue with whom is making the X-Box what it is? Jeez.. you sure know nothing of corporate relationships. This is not the end of the company who brought (because ATI lives in their own Mac Planet), 3DFX to their knees... NVDIA will support DX9 in their cards. You can bet anything on that.

it could be the alcohol talking, but it really looks to me like this thread got really stupid really quick...

let's move along or get back on topic please...

Quote:

I have a Voodoo 5 5500 and playing games on Windows Xp is so crappy!!! When ever your playing a game in DX mode, cause glide and all the other opengl stuff doesnt work, all kinds of blue screens and shutdowns come up. It sux, they better fix the problem by rc2 at least. Thanx for screwing me over Nvidia. And Im not getting rid of my V5, just cause they are trying to force me to.mad

Join the dark side of the force luke.. It will make you stronger than wheaties will...

Look. I also liked DOS. I loved it.. Then windows 3.1 came.. I liked it a little bit more.. Then came Winbloat 95 and it's never stopping brothers, 98, 98se, Me (as in Merde). the only os's I love are Windows 2000 and Linux.

Nvdia didn't buy 3DFX to immortalize it. It bought it to put it out of it's misery and to grab whatever cool tech was involved in Rampage to add it to the GF3.

ASUS made it clear that they would include cheatcodes on their drivers for games like Q3A, Halflife, Counter-Strike, Etc. It took them 7 days to retract that statement and post fixes.

Technology is like that.. I think if 3DFX make a lot of noise NVIDIA might wise up and give you poor souls an extra mile on your product with Windows XP or they could just keep on...

Quote:
Originally posted by SHS
rapina you have have good point about mandrake but linux has very poor hadrware support not count the min other hardware deivce out there, I can even get it to mandrake8 been I have all usb mskeyboard, msmouse, intelwebcam then there my msjoystick & mswheel, my keyboard will not work even with bios set to usb keyboard from OS to bios the funny thing is BeOS works.

Linux is a cool os. It has evolutioned a lot since I remember when I first downloaded at 14.4k 144 1.44 floppies of Slackware. But it still lacks ease. Even for a seasoned computer player/hacker it is tedious to have to dwell in command lind explicits, where even whatever gfx environment you pick to have from KDE, GNOME, E! or whatever else there is...

For example, this is one of my linux Rigs:

Dual Pentium III 1.0Ghz
1Gb Ram
Soundblaster live Value
Cheapo 52x CDROM
Radeon 64Mb DDR VIVO
Keyboard, Mouse, headphones
15 Inch Monitor
1 Gbit NIC

Nautilus in the frigging GNOME engine runs like a turtle!!! it really sucks... but I use this rig to hold 4 Counter-Strike Servers for LANParty Tournaments, I have another one that holds 4 Q3A Servers, but is a Windows 2000 Server.

Quote:
That only hand full game at lokigames about the other millin games forget wine maybe win a 5ghz CPU roll out but not in tell then hehe.

Loki Games is doing a great job, and I sincerely hope many more games comes out for Linux, but still it is not a preferred platform except for serving. I have played games in Wine, with one of the duals and it runs really fast Woooo like I can count frames on Starcraft.. come on be real people.. what you need is memory and 512Mb's can be bought at bzboyz.com for or less if you look around.

Quote:
Well DrLove you may have a good point there but I hate tell you this but Geforce2MX is cripple as well it an't funny I may well buy a ATI Radeon non cripple hardware at half the cost.

As an ashamed owner of a Radeon 64MB DDR, I can tell you that it sucks. Maybe if ATI would stop thinking crap, they would get head-on drivers that made the ***** card work properly. GIANTS, freezesover, Tribes-2 freezes.. It's a pain. Though for Work it rules. I just yanked the Radeon to one of my Linux servers and put in my PC a GeForce 256 3D PRophet. The Nvidia Card rocks and plays all these games without a problem. I have been curious about the new chipset the Kyro II but I have not read much about it. Instead of going the ATI way I would sincerely get a Geforce 256 or a Geforce 2 GTS which play your games real cool without problems. I leave ATI to Mac.. they seem to get along.

Quote:

it could be the alcohol talking, but it really looks to me like this thread got really stupid really quick...

let's move along or get back on topic please...

Must be the alcohol. It usually makes everything stupid. Including you without noticing 8) No offense intended nor pun.

My cranberry juice must be getting to me...

Bill Gates is the richest man on the planet because he is a business man first, techie second.

Intel learned when they named the Pentium after having thier chips called 8086 and stuff like that.

Linux will be a good OS when the guru's that make the stuff realize that the mass market needs it to be simple.

I honestly don't believe they want it that way. Just like Mac users don't won't everyone to have a MAc, it would take away the fun of being unique.

I am an IMO, domain admin, and computer spe[censored]t, and I have trouble with Linux. Make my life a little more simple and I'll use it, so will many others.