Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SHS

I just some bad news about 3dfx and WindowsXP

Luke: is the dark side of the force more powerful?

Yoda: No! no... easier, faster, seductive it is...

ROTFL

------------------------------

3rd party support for linux, comes fi there are more costumers for those "3rd party" companies smile

I've said that to death here...

I understand what you are saying, and it sounds a lot like the "chicken and the egg" (which came first?). Well, in general companies can't and won't wait for software houses to create applications to take the place of Windows-based apps just so they can "support" them later on. The applications have to come out and be viable BEFORE many companies will look at them. It may seem like a catch-22, and to some extent it is. However, when you have a platform that's as dynamic as Linux with so many vendors putting out a great many versions of the OS, it's hard for software companies to treat it with the respect it may deserve and actually develop enterprise apps for it.

Many people like to badger MS for being a monopoly, but they did do one great thing for PCs: standardization. They put out an OS, it made it's way to just about every desktop-class PC out there, and now everybody develops for it because they want to make money. I think once Linux development starts to setttle down a bit and become more stable (distros become more alike, development releases become more regular) popularity of the OS will grow even more. And therefore, more choices for software to run on it.

Just a matter of preference.

Techies will always prefer something thats out of the mainstream. Whereas IT professionsal want stuff thats easy to deploy and simple for end users to learn.

I want the latter of course. Everyday I have to fix problems mostly caused by users lack of knowledge. Linux would be a freaking nightmare. Again I'll say this:

When techies start thinking like businessmen, Linux will take off. If they continue to develope as is, they will turn most of us off. Maybe for good

Just as a side note I installed WinXP over Win2k and it used the drivers that were already installed, no hicupps or anything, even got the 3dfx Tools.

bussines apps

Office apps...

every day use home PC...

AAAAAAAAHHH!!!

all i can do is scream!!!!

im just asking more games for it!!!

my gaming rig isn't in the Office!!!!

IS NOT ABOUT replace Microsoft products per-se, RIGHT NOW!

I have not even mention stuff like Star Office or stuff flike that!

just games.. and for the rest of office apps.win 98SE makes a great job, who cares winXP?

is not the topic about 3dfx??? ... please dont mix apples and oranges...

using linux instead of windows in a Office ... I mean for data adquisistion or for a secretary is a no no!

and there is no standar stuff

but a godmmit monopoly....

like it or not

Actually, rapina, a page back you were mentioning that Linux did in fact "rock" as a desktop OS. As for the topic being changed to whether Linux was a good OS or not, well that was brought up merely because someone stated that there were drivers for 3DFX products in Linux. So, scream if you must...

laugh

my nvidia-pIII-Linux based rig is on a "desktop"...duh!

so?

is about having LOGIC dude...

they stared flaming that it wont to thwart on a "Adams family" situation, lotsa people flamed that is extremely complex to make it work right, and for that matter I agree, even a win85 can get screw up with this "Adams family", yet a Linux box of the last year and mdk 8.0 is a big difference, at least for a bunch of people...

consistency....

let have some consistency, if you're willing to PAY for winXP like all the posters here, why not pay for let say, RED HAT and the only thing you're purchasing is TECH support? TECH support, that is

famous for been better than Microsoft tech support...

how come that one person have a certain mentality with one product(w4r3z sux and all that) and with other (GPL! GNU! YEAH GIVE ME FREE WOW!) is all the opposite...

consistency... and a little logic, just for fun :P

ummm...OK, I guess. I am not sure what you are talking about with the "Adams Family" references, but you seem dedicated to Linux so that's cool. I don't think you can appreciate the position I am coming from, since you don't work in any support capacity for end users. Also, when I mention "desktop", I am referring to applications as well (like ERP, accounting, asset tracking, maintenance, PLC interfacing, and on and on...) and their availability. That is where I am coming from, and therefore my logic.

don't waste your time with them to