Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mike Zamarocy

Ok, somewhat solved my Nero problem, but now its WNASPI32.DL

Ok, I sort of fixed my buffer under-runs in Nero. But I am having a strange problem with NERO and my CD ROM drives. If I use the 4.60 version of wnaspi32.dll (44K) that was already on my system, the CD ROMs will work, but Nero won't, nor will the new Nero CD Speed tool which gives a "wnaspi32.dll not loaded" error message. Now, if I copy the Nero wnaspi32.dll into the winnt/system32 directory (over the old one), then Nero works, so does the CD Speed tool, but then my CD ROM's won't work on data CD's, untill I copy the old one back. WEIRD! I even went and did the SP2 service pack again (had uninstalled it awhile back and went to SP1), but that didn't fix it either. Now I also seem to remember, but can't find it, that there were some files in SP2 that do NOT copy over during the patch? If this is so, which files were they again? And how to manualy install them. Thanks!

do you also have a regular ASPI layer installed too. Ive never seemed to have a problem with nero and i always have a seperate Adaptec ASPI layer though for cdrwin and programs without built in ASPI layers.

The Nero wnaspi32.dll is best installed and kept only in the Nero folder and while the 4 generic Aspi layer files reside in the Winnt system folders. Check if you have the Nero version for Windows 2000.

The Nero version of wnaspi32.dll is 2.0.1.28, and resides in Nero's install directory and is 169K large. The other one is only 44K small, and is version 4.6.0.1021, as well as says its ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL for an Adaptec ASPI layer. But I do not have any other ASPI layer on my system that I know of, though I am using ATAPI hard drives mixed with 4 SCSI hard drives and 2 CD ROM drives (Plextor).

THANKS Wolf! That did the trick! And I then went and did further searching on Adaptec's website, and this is what they had to say. Hmmm, they do NOT support the ASPI layer in ME or 2000!

The older style ASPI layers are not native under Windows ME and Windows 2000 and Adaptec Inc. does not provide technical support for adding an ASPI layer to these OS's at this time.

The Adaptec SCSI Controllers do not require ASPI, to operate under Windows ME and Windows 2000.

However! Some older software programs, that were not written for these specific OS's "might" still request an ASPI layer be installed. This may require an upgrade of the software or application you are using from the manufacturer that is Windows ME and Windows 2000 compliant, and connects to the SCSI interface layer and does not require the installation of an ASPI layer (Advance SCSI Program Interface).

The operating system manufacturer Microsoft has chosen not to use an ASPI layer under Windows ME and Windows 2000. This is a specification of the OS.

The problem is that "Windows ME" and "Windows 2000" are not made to use the older style ASPI layer and undesirable results could happen if the older style ASPI layer is installed on your machine.

Because of these major changes Adaptec Inc. does not support installing any current versions of ASPI at this point under the OS's specified.