Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowFlame

File Sharing over 98

Why is it that when you try to access a hard drive on a Win2k machine through a win98 machine, it gives you this weird password crap that no one I know has been able to deal with? I've tried to figure this out, but I still haven't gotten anywhere farther. Yeah I know Win98 sux, but just bear with me here; does anyone know how to get past this password screen and into a hard drive? Thanx for your time.

ShadowFlame

You need to setup an account on the Win2k box, then use the Microsoft Network logon, on the Win98 and use the same account.

On my network, I just created an account for my wife with no password. That way all she has to do is hit enter when it asks for her password.

I have run into the same problem a while ago, and I was able

to get around it easily. Here's EXACTLY how you do it.

In your windows 2000 machine, right click My Computer and choose "manage". Wait for the management console to come up then go to

"local users and groups". Then click on "users".

Next, choose New->User from the Action menu, and type in the setails for the user AS IT IS on your windows 98 machine. For example, say

you log on as MrG with password IamCool (case sensitive) in win98, you would then create an account with user name: MrG and password IamCool (again, CasE SenSitIve)!

Them, there's one last thing, in BOTH make sure you have the following protocols and services are installed:

NETBEUI ->(your ethernet card name) (protocol)

Client For Microsoft Networks (service)

File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks (service)

You may also have other protocols installed such as TCP/IP (which you need for internet), and IPX/SP etc... Those two are not necessary for networking and sharing files, but they are useful to make any use of the internet ;-)

By the way, I assume you know how to share files/folders/drives/printers under both 98 and 2000. If you don't let me know, and I can help ya out.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

:-)