Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mad2moons

whats up with me ports??

im running w2k pro on my comp in work, i log onto it with admin privs but can't use ftp, icq, morpheus etc, if i try and use these progs on any other machine in work, its fine, works straight away. Is there something blocking my ports on my computer alone, how could i tell?

ta

mad2moons

Just cuz you are logged on as Admin doesn't necessarily mean that you have all the rights in the world to do what you want, especially on a work pc. It depends more on the domain you are logging into. Like most businesses, their network is online through a proxy server, which is rigged to forbid users from trying out the things you are trying. The reason is simple... people try to take advantage of the high bandwidth of their workplace pc, by downloading copyrighted materials etc... which would really put that business in jeapordy. If you are logged in as a local Admin, you still are not necessarily God over what your computer can do. So most likely, the domain you belong to has been given the restrictions you have described. After all, the things you said that you want to do... ftp, icq, morpheus, are not the kinds of software people typically use during their day at the office. laugh

doh, yeh but the thing is, my m8 has admin rights on his comp as well, but he can use ftp, icq, msn etc. I use ftp for uploading to our work site, icq for talking about ideas with other local businesses and morpheus for my smiths collection smile I just can't understand y all my ports seem to be blocked frown