Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Allanv

cable modem sharing

with my cable modem i want to share the connection with another pc, i have 2 nic cards in the one wif cable modem and 1 nic in the client.

i have tryed different proxy server software but not everything works, and ICS is crap and same not everything works. i then when to the configuration page of my cable modem (for those with surfboard modems the address is 192.168.100.1) and found this below.

right how the hell do i make this work?? the 2 machines concerned are running windows trojan, ooops virus - i mean ME.

do i setup client with the address pool 192.?.?.? this bit i understand oh subnet should be 255.255.0.0 right then how do it ip route from nic1 to nic2 cable modem and resolve names... or am i barking up the wrong tree?? hey this could help a load more people if we can solve the mystery.......

Thanks in advance

Enable DHCP Server "this is ticked"

The SURFboard cable modem can be used as a gateway to the Internet by a maximum of 32 users on a Local Area Network (LAN). When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the Internet, users on the LAN can be dynamically assigned IP Addresses by the Cable Modem DHCP Server. These addresses are assigned from an address pool which begins with 192.168.100.11 and ends with 192.168.100.42. Statically assigned IP addresses for other devices on the LAN should be chosen from outside of this rangeconfused

For Internet Sharing, the best product, IMHO, is Sygate. It does a great job, comes with DHCP, port forwarding, firewall and more.

You can download a demo at www.sybergen.com

Your cable modem will not act as a DHCP server for other machines on your network. The modem is capable of doing it, but your ISP only gives you one address, not a range of addresses.

Set your main PC (with the modem) to have an IP of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Set the other machine to 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet, and give it a default gateway of 192.168.0.1

That's about it. Makes sure ICS is enabled for the modem NIC and Robert is your mothers brother.

If you have a firewall you may need to tweak the settings a bit to let the second machine out on the Internet.

While Bursar is correct about the ICS procedure, the modem can host many PCs on its own. But this function (through DHCP) is ONLY available if the ISP turns it on. Usually, you have to pay another $5-$10US per month per extra machine hosted. As for me, I just use a Linksys router for my 4 systems, and the occasional laptop.

I'm sure that's what I said.

"Your modem is capable of doing it, but your ISP only gives you address"

I was actually referring to this:

Quote:

Your cable modem will not act as a DHCP server for other machines on your network. The modem is capable of doing it, but your ISP only gives you one address, not a range of addresses.

Which is incorrect, as an ISP is capable of giving a range of addresses (1,2,5, whatever) via the modem.