Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Duszolap

3D Performance

I got geforce DDR and unfortunately i ve noticed that overall 3d acceleration performance dropped after changing system from ME to 2000. I am running on 12.41 reference drivers. I d like to ask if it is normal for 2000 system or is there something i could do to raise performance.

This is what i ve noticed but i ve also checked system with 3dMark2000 and it show me i am right .I lost about 600 points in result.

why are you using 3dmark 2000 anyway? 3dmark 2k1 is the Direct3d standard. Also win2k ISNT FOR GAMING, that is why benchmarks are lower on it.

Quote:

Make sure SP1 is on there

As for 3Dmark - Win2k is absolutely SHITE for D3D, compared to an OS on the Win9x core.

Hmm You really consoled me man smile
I hope that it will be improved and OPENGL isnt SHITE.

Wrong. D3D is fine in NT. It's the drivers that make the difference.

I would hardly call 40fps in 2048X1536 in UT "shite". (in D3D)

Let me say this...

There is no question that issues pertaining to the OS hold back Direct3D performance. I have Win98, Windows2000, and WinXP (build 2486) on this system.

The funny thing is that it really depends on the game/application. For example, Giants...This one is pretty funny. Using the exact same drivers across Win2000 and WinXP...and obviously, the same game settings....the timedemo in Giants yields:

Win2k: 48 FPS

WinXP: 60 FPS

Of course, I get the following in Win98:

Win98: 83 FPS

I will let you be the judge. I'm using the exact same nVidia drivers for all OS's, same tweaks, same everything....Obviously, AMD760 miniport drivers are different for Win98 vs. Win2k, but all the updates have been applied.

Next up is NOLF. This one just plain sucks outside of Win98. It's a fantastic game, but the performance just stinks.

And then you have 3DMark2001....and, interestingly enough, there is very little variation between Win98 and Windows2000. Very interesting indeed. It's almost as if nVidia said, "hey, a lot of people pay attention to 3DMark2001...lets make sure we work on that one..." (I know this happens).

Anyhow, I have done this experiment across a number of titles, and there is something about Win2k that just prohibits one from getting the best D3D performance possible.

Typedef Enum

http://www.nvnews.net

- FIC AD11

- Athlon T-Bird @ 1.4 GHz.

- VisionTek GF3 (225/530)

- Crucial PC2100 256MB

i supposed the problem lies not with the drivers themselves or the OS itself, but the games. Many if not all games are designed to run on 9x because its easier to design a game for, because of the ability to not have to directly interface with the HAL itself, and how you can half-*** most of the things in 9x. 2k on the otherhand is very specific in what you can run on it and many people choose not to make games that work as well in 2k because of the 'not designed for gaming' line and because they are lackeys that don't want to. I mean why make something work well on an NT based OS when you can half-*** it and make it run even better on a 9x one.

Win2k is shite for D3D compared to win9x.

DosFreak - you may think 40fps is fine at that res, obviously it is - but i guaruntee it's faster in win98se.

Win98SE is far better for D3D, about the same for OpenGL, but its a load of shite when it comes to system stability/memory management/security etc

Don't get me wrong, I love win2k - it does everything I want it to, but I have Win98SE as well to play games, what's wrong with that?

It's set up only to play games, and it goes like a ****ing rocket.

Bottom line: Win2k is inferior for D3D at the moment.

that's why there's open GL laugh and yeah it all comes down to the games themselves. Madden 2k1 performs well in 2k. Unreal tournament doesn't (hence i run open GL), Giants runs flawlessly in 2000 using t&L D3D. I only have a tb 750 , 384 MB RAM and a Gf2 GTS pro. What other D3D games.. oh yeah need for speed 5 is another flawless performer laugh

I switched to W2k because 98 was royally pissing me off. What good is a few extra FPS, if the OS locks up, crashes, sh*ts itself, etc?