Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kgeissler

Network Saturation

We are running IIS 4 and website was hammered this weekend. CPU was at most %75, but everything was really slow. We had 450 users on the machine at all times. So I need to know, does anyone know how many users would saturate a T1 line?

I am trying to figure out if our bottleneck is the T1 line.

Shouldn't you be able to examin the network traffic in that time frame? Possibly see if it becomes linear at a certain point..? (you could then trace how many users were on at the point by which it became linear and see if the addition of other users had any effect on the total data transmitted (if you are running a high bandwidth service...)

if 450 users pull simultaneously from a T1, that leaves only about 500 bytes/second of bandwidth for each user - I would call that saturated! If you're really getting that kind of traffic, then I would definitely look into getting more bandwidth...

Quote:

Hammered?
You mean like a DoS attack?

No...just so many users, brought the server to a crawl. After more research, I found out that we only have 1/2 of the T1 for the webserver. That is going to change really quick.