duron 800@1000 superorb

geforce 2 pro 32mb (240/400)

asus a7v-133

256mb ram

seagate barracuda 3 30gb

windows me

drivers:

nvidia 12.41 official

latest via 4 in 1 drivers (forgot the ver but im sure its latest i dled from via site)

liveware 3 for winme and also tried win2k

i reformatted my hd and installed the 12.41 nvidia drivers .after this i plugged in the

sblive value and installed liveware 3 for winme and did more benchmarks. here are hte

results

Without soundblaster live (quake 3 benchmarks were done without sound)

quake 3 fastest: 146fps

quake 3 high: 129fps

quake 3 MAX 1024: 98

After instaling sblive and liveware 3 for winme (quake 3 benchmarks were done without sound)

quake 3 fastest: 115

quake 3 high: 115fps

quake 3 MAX 1024: 98

This is really wierd cause my friend's benchmark:

athlon 1ghz

geforce ddr

256mb ram

with sblive installed

Quake 3 fastest: 140fps

quake 3 high: 117fps

quake 3 Max 1024: 70fps

his geforce ddr is faster than my gf2 at low res!! (only if i have my sblive isntalled)

y does my sblive limit my average fps to 115fps???? is it my via kt133a mobo?

im not sure if this is because of VIA mobos, (i had a BX b4 but i didnt check it), but can

someone help me?

thanks

What refresh rate is your monitor running at? If it's 115 Hz, then you are being limited by vsync.

Seriously though, you would be have to be super-human to be able to tell the difference between 115fps and 140fps. Why don't you just leave it on the MAX setting and enjoy the high quality graphics?

"Seriously though, you would be have to be super-human to be able to tell the difference between 115fps and 140fps. Why don't you just leave it on the MAX setting and enjoy the high quality graphics?"

DUDe

it does matter, we want every last fps so when we are downloading ****, burning a cd and playing Q3 it won't slow down too much hehe.

I'll quote myself

"F@ck Creative!

After 3 years they finally release half-a$s drivers.

MY Hercules works great and sounds better.

I know everyone doesn't have 150 bones to throw on a sound card, but I encourage you to boycot creative and get a Hercules, Santa Cruz or Philips sound card.

Fu@K Creative,

We all Deserve better"

tats not the point i need to know y my sblive slows my sysytem down so much in low rez

oh

oh no

my god, he's being limited to 115 fps

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww what a shame!!!!!

be happy with what you've got fs

My guess is that you score went down with SBLive! installed because your system have to process sound now. Before it didn't have to process sound information so you were getting high fps. But 115 fps for both fastest and high mode looks suspicious though. Like CUViper said, you might want to check out your Vsync setting to see if it is on. If Vsync is on then your fps is limited by your monitor's refresh rate. With the fps you are getting right now, I wouldn't be complaining either.

David if you stop and think a little bit before you answer you'd realize that today's game running at 115fps instead of 160fps may be tomorrow's game running at 30fps instead of 45fps. So now is it so hard to understand why he wants to get the best performance possible out of his video card?

Try the new patch that just came out.

Also try other games than Quake 3 to benchmark and see if it is indeed the SBLIVE!. Try using low sound quality. If not pull it out and try another sound card if you got one, like an old sb16 or something.

"I pity the Poor Fewl that Buys Intel"

PsychoSword: u are totally right

my vsync is off, and my refresh rate is 85hz

ill try other benchmarks and report back

how do i benchmark in serious sam?

I dont have serious sam installed at the moment,but I think it was something like you type dem_iprofile=1(I could be wrong about the command but I'm almost sure it started with dem so just type dem and start pressing the TAB key untill something hits your eye) then you play a demo,when its finished in the console will be info about the average fps,the peaks and other stuff

Also try a Direct 3d game in there as well, like MDK 2 or something if you got it. I have had issues with my old Live and Open GL gmaes in particular

PsychoSword - The problem he is having is that his framerate is limited to 115, it's NOT a percentage performance decrease.

So the max he's going to get is 115fps, "tomorrows" game wont be able to run at +115fps, that's it.

Perhaps if you stop and think a little.

According to you it's not a performance problem that's limiting his framerate to 115fps. That may be, but if it is in fact a performance problem related to AGP drivers, ant-aliasing, etc., then he wants to fix it. I realize you're trying to talk common sense, which can be appreciated at times, but all I'm saying is please try and help him figure out what it is for sure before you talk like that rather than assuming you know what the problem is. I think it's important to get the facts straight first.

Fair enough, bit im not assuming i know what the problem is, i dont know what the problem is, ive not bothered to work it out because the only way this "problem" is affecting him is that he can't run Q3 at higher than 115fps, which is more than double a perfectly playable speed.

i think i ffigured my prob:

my sblive is sharing irqs with many things

stuff on irq 9:

sblive

geforce 2 pro

MS ACPI system

Network card

VIA USB

soo many things on irc 9!!

irq 3 is not used by anything but i cant change the irq of sblive for some reason.

i tried changing it in bio as well as in windows xp but the damn thing always uses irq 9!! i also tried turning Plug N Play OS on and off and still no difference

can someone tell me how do i change my irq??

http://www.ntcompatible.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=14423

Try it if you want and see if it makes a difference. You'll probably have to reinstall Windows though.

Better still though would be to try moving the sblive to different PCI slots first. IRQ sharing depends on which card is in which slot, so this may help (and you won't need to reinstall Windows to do it).

...or just accept the fact that having sound enabled (especially with an SBLive) slows down your system. I mean come on, if the computer is playing sounds it's gonna take up at least some processor time doing it which it ain't gonna do if there's no sound card to play them through.

Yeah, try changing the cards positions in the PCI slots, but other than that leave the IRQ settings alone. I've had major problems everytime I've messed around with the IRQ's under Win2k.

Daedalus I just read ur 1st post and ur fps are probably being kept down by the cpu,try testing with your friends cpu in ur system and you should be getting his scores for low res and ur scores for hi res

anyway the problem isn't with a faulty sb live its just the cpu is being used to also process the sound,preaty much what whoisurdaddy said.

And it's not the IRQ sharing,if that was ify yuo would've had greater problems

I wish I had youre problems-the fps being limited to 115 frown