Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
danleff

Mandrake 10 beta 2 woes and fixes

I just installed Mandrake 10 on my secondary hard drive on a Soyo Dragon Platinum motherboard.

Problem #1 - Highpoint raid

After several fails on install (mkinitrd failed when installing the bootloader) I then fell on the issue with highpoint raid drivers on install. The suggestion was to disable the modules and use the rescue mode to re-install them when the system was up and running. However, the rescue mode fails at this, as it uses a different kernel version in rescue mode!. So, I disable raid in the bios and the install completes.

No resolution to the problem yet.

Problem #2 - ide-scsi

K3b requires ide-scsi to be added to the grub file to properly use cdrdao.

Resolution - add ide-scsi to the grub file.

Problem #3 - No internet connection or sound!

Eth0 fails on boot, due to a fluke with the onboard via-rhine NIC.

A search of google reveals that this is an issue with the onboard via-rhine NIC.

Resolution - add noapic acpi=off to the grub menu.

Problem #4 - No scroll mouse

Mandrake failed to configure my scroll mouse, I thought that I set it correctly during the install? Not according to the XF86Config-4 file!

Resolution - reconfigure the scroll mouse with Mandrake´s hardware tools.

So, the latest and the greatest comes with a price. Previous versions of Mandrake installed without a hitch, including 9.2, Bata 1 and Mandrake 12312003 cooker.

As we all encounter troubles with our installs, remember, consider choosing the stable releases and don´t assume the newest is the best for your hardware!

I have a question for you as you mentioned "After several fails on install (mkinitrd failed when installing the bootloader) " in your POST. I too have been having these mkinitrd failures when installing my boatloader. How did you lick this problem ?

I have been trying to upgrade for a week now and I still can't get pass this point. Thanks

rahtid2

This problem generally occurs when you have a motherboard with highpoint raid enabled in the bios. I just simply disabled raid in the bios and the install completed.

Quote:
This problem generally occurs when you have a motherboard with highpoint raid enabled in the bios. I just simply disabled raid in the bios and the install completed.

Interesting! When I built my current computer, I had to make a choice about which motherboard to use, one had raid and a built in nic card, the other did not. I checked and figured out that I could get 512 meg of DDR ram and a cheap (realtek) nic by getting the one without raid and onboard nic. Since then, I've read so much on probs with onboard stuff, and now probs with raid, so I'm feeling much better about my mobo choice... 8)

I'm having the same mkinitrd problem with mandrake 10.0 official for amd64. I've tried disabling the RAID controllers to no avail. Any other suggestions?