Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SnapperOne

Why does system reboot?

Installed Win2000-Pro several weeks ago as a complete install, not an install over Win98SE. Have come across something I don't understand.

I have the monitor set to go-to-sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, but leave the PC and hard drive alone. When the system is left in this state for a day or so (haven't checked if for shorter periods of time), and I move the mouse to bring the screen back up, the system goes into a reboot and runs chkdsk.

What's up with this?

SnapperOne

By default Windows 2000 is set to automatically reboot on a system failure instead of showing you the Blue Screen of Death(BSOD).

You can change this behaviour by right clicking on My Computer, Selecting Properties, Clicking on the Advanced Tab, selecting Startup and Recovery. You'll then see a check box for Automaically reboot in the System Failure section. Remove the check and then ok you're way back out.

This doesn't explain why your system is crashing in the first place, but it will stop it rebooting and give you chance to read the BSOD which might point you in the right direction to being able to solve the problem.

It also sounds like another ACPI problem! I know that if windows is trying to use ACPI on a motherboard that doesn't support it fully, or its not quite setup right, it can reboot when coming back on from standby.

I had this problem once and IIRC, the fix was to turn either on, or off APM in the BIOS.

Cynan & Sweevo.........

Just had a thought! I upgraded two machines at the same time. Other than one is setup with a CD-Rom only, while the other has both a CD-Rom and CD-RW, the only differences between the two machines are the processors they use; same MOBO, Ram, etc....... The system causing the reboot problem uses a PIII-533, the other uses a PIII-667. The PIII-677 machine does not do the "reboot thing".

Hmmmmmmmmmm, guess I'll have to poke around in the APM area a bit and see if the machines are setup differently.

SnapperOne

Sweevo, Cynan..........

Turned off auto-reboot, so I was able to see the following error message:

------------

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xf0485D90)

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_equal

Address F0485D90 base at F0480000, Date Stamp 390a4fd6-lmouflt2.sys

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory

Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or tech support group.

------------

Make any sense to you guys?

Cynan........

Did the MS search. Some stuff was "Close but no cigar". So......

submitted an "Incident report" to MS with the entire error message; probably cost me next year's income if I hear from them.

Thanks for the link!

SnapperOne

Hi SnapperOne

It's worth having a search on Google for Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_equal - it turned up loads of stuff when I just went to look, it seems to be a problem with ACPI/PCI/Drivers, have read through, it's quite enlightening

Sweevo.........

MS responded (and, in fact, followed up later. Suprised the hell out of me) saying the problem lays with my Logitech Mouseware software driver "Imouflt2.sys", suggesting "Please unistall the Logitech Mouseware". No suggestion regarding what I shoud do for a mouse, just uninstall the Logitech Mouseware.

While I certainly appreciate MSs follow up, their response doesn't address why, since I have two virtually identical systems (including the mice used), one shuts down and the other doesn't. I will nonetheless contact Logitech to see what's up. My thought is that we may simply have a corrupted file.

I'll take your suggestions an nose around the Google lead you provided.

Thanks.........SnapperOne

Hate to say it guys, but MS was correct. It appears it was the driver for my LogiTech mouse. Reinstalled LogiTech's v. 9.0 MouseWare; problem went away. Then installed LogiTech's new 9.24 version of the software; problem still seems to be gone.

Crossing my fingers.

Thanks for all you help.

SnapperOne

Whoops, spoke too soon! System rebooted even with new Logitech driver, but this time no error message from Win2000-Pro so I don't know what caused the reboot. Looks like a long discussion with Logitech coming up.

SnapperOne

ValkyerieK7.........

Two systems, virtually identical. One has problem, the other doesn't

Both systems are connected to cable broadband and eachother thru a LinkSys Router (which is another problem, but unrelated to this issue)

Problem system is:

PIII-677

128M PC800 Ram

VC820 Mobo

Diamond Viper 550 video board

Maxtor 30Gig HD

Matsumi CD-Rom

Plextor 12.10/32a CD-RW

LS120 Superdisk

Maxtor ATA/100 PCI card (for soon to be installed 2nd 30Gig HD)

Intel 10/100 Fast ethernet card

Microtek scanner via USB

Logitech speakers via soundcard output

Logitech Mouseman+ via PS2

MS Natural Keyboard via PS2

No-problem system is:

PIII-533

128M PC800 Ram

VC820 Mobo

Diamond Viper 770 video board

Maxtor 30Gig HD

Matsumi CD-Rom

LS120 Superdisk

Intel 10/100 Fast ethernet card

Logitech Cordless Mouseman via PS2

Generic speakers via soundcard output

MS Natural Keyboard via PS2

Hi SnapperOne,

I'm not sure if you got you answer or not, but I had the same problem with an HP Vectra PII 550. Almost the same situation, many PC's all the same. None of ours have CDRW's though. I also never found anything regarding the Mouse issue. I received the same message and searched on Google. I got a lot of hits regarding it. The site was http://www.osr.com/ddk/bccodes_3jdz.htm

I also found some info at http://computing.net/windows2000/wwwboard/forum/2873.html

Not to promote another sites data, but....

Not sure if any of this will help you or even if you need it anymore. I reimaged the PC I was having problems with numerous times and was convinced it was the sound card. I swapped out every component, one at a time, and couldn't narrow it down. I ended up re-imaging again, about the 6th time, and finally the PC became stable.

Kriker

Kriker........

Yep, already found the problem. But thanks anyway for the post.

For reference, the problem was with the Logitech mouse driver. They've come out with new drivers,.....problem solved.

When I uninstalled the mouse driver, up popped another problem. It was apparently being hidden by the mouse issue.

In short, with the system on standby (monitor and HD shut down), when I brought the system back up I was greeted with an "out of resources error". Turned out to be a scanner detection file call SDetect.exe that always ran in the background. Since it wasn't needed to run the scanner, too-da-lewed the file. Problem solved.

SnapperOne

Remember, when dealing with MicroSoft: "It's not that you are paranoid, it's that you are not paranoid enough" - ananymous