Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Maillion

CompactFlash Reader

I have a CompactFlash reader that my system seems to find, but it does not seem to be mounted. I suppose it would need to be in the fstab and/or the mtab. does anybody know how I can set it up, or at least determine if it is found by the system? I use Knoppix/Debian. TIA. 8)

Maillion, Is it a USB memory/reader stick? I've set up four boxes with usb memory devices and used these directions for all of them. One was Morphix, two were RH and one was Mandrake 9.0. The directions worked for all of them. smile

You may have to go /sbin/lsmod and /sbin/modprobe instead of just lsmod and modprobe though..

No, Dapper it is one of those little gadgets that let me put in my card from my digital camera and copy the images to the drive. It's not a big deal at the moment, It works OK in Windoze, but as soon as I find certain software, I'm departing M$ land forever. (That may take a while...) I've got a USB cable to hook up my camera, but it takes a looong time to download images from it, and I will still have to figure out how to configure that in Linux! I'd just as soon get the card reader working. It seems to be initialised - the led lights up in Linux, so Linux sees it. I found some stuff in dmesg that seems to indicate that it is initialised, and Knoppix/Debian has a program that gives info about lots of stuff, including "USB storage", but I can't find what it's device name is. I saw a thread on LinuxQuestions.org that talked about one for Sandisk (mine is 'generic) the thread gave a list of the guy's dmesg, and mine has exactly the same stuff, as near as I can tell. I will go back there a little later to see if I can compare the two dmesg data. Is there any way I can find out what the device name is? If so, I will try to mount it, and if it works, I can add it to fstab... ;(

I remeber reading on the Puppy forum that multicard readers can be a problem. I seems that Linux will pick up the first slot only, or whatever is designated as slot 1.

So, if the type of card that you have is not the first slot on the reader, then this could be the issue.

The first slot would probably be sda1, or sdb1 if you have a zip drive or other usb stick attached to the system.

Check dmesg and see if gets picked up and designated as sda or sda1.

Danleff, when I tried to mount it, all the info I've gotten so far has indicated that it should be sdax, (where x is a number between 1 and 15 or so). I went through and did 'mount' using each of these device labels found in /dev, starting with sda,1 but each stated that it was "not a block device". I saw a line in my boot messges this time that mentioned that it was doing something to a "usb storage" device, but it went by so fast I couldn't read it all. Is there any way that I can send all that stuff to a file so that I can read it later? I haven't had a chance yet to compare my dmesg line by line with the one posted on LinuxQuestions.org forum, but I will soon. I don't have a Zip drive or anything like that. I have a usb scanner, (HP 2200c) and a Logitech Marble usb trackball, no other usb devices, no memory sticks, etc.. I'm not in a major hurry, I can access it through Win98, which is where all my images are stored, but the sooner I fix it, the sooner I will have no problems in Linux for the very first time! (Of course, Linux sometimes surprises me; just now my GUI login screen switched back into German... ;(