Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
prum555

512Meg of SDRAM

You could try switching to Standard PC in NT and then you can change things. ACPI tends to choose what IRQs go where, but I don't see it being a problem.

I have used Me with 512 MB RAM, but after about 256 MB, you don't see a difference unless you are using a good OS.

Quote:

You could try switching to Standard PC in NT and then you can change things. ACPI tends to choose what IRQs go where, but I don't see it being a problem.

The problem only used to occur in games that used EAX and only during the intial resolution change (from 2D -> 3D mode) which is what lead me to believe ACPI and its IRQ sharing (particularly between the SBLive! and the Riva TNT) to be the culprit. Still, XP solved the problem and there isn't a force on Earth that can make me go back to 2k so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I have done alot of reasearch on different mobo/video combos...and the only thing that I have found out is adjusting my memory timing...going to 2 way associtive I think ...from 4 way associative...that usually fixed all of my BSOD problems...seems that the video card would save the data to certain parts of the memory but the OS would clear those memory values before it could be displayed...and thus the BSOD...or that is what M$ claims happens...and the reason you probably don't have the error in XP is that Xp doesn't allow the video to write to that part of the memory ...and instead redirects it to a differnt module ...which causes it to have a different IRQ setting...