Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
prum555

512Meg of SDRAM

Guys..

I am using Windows ME and currently using 256Meg of SDRAM. With the current price of SDRAM dropping, I just wonder if I should get another 256Meg to make it 512Meg. Anyone like to share their experience?

Thx.

laugh

The more RAM the better! But 256 is enough for most games and any other programs. 512mb will be way more than enough. But if dirt cheap then go for it, 256mb more on one DIMM will set u back less than $100!!!!

But i still say more the better!:D

I do believe that there is some problem with the 9x code base that causes the system to hang if you exceed a certain amount of memory. I doubt even 9x/ME could even handle 512 anyway. If your going to have that much, install 2K... it rocks. wink

--Cynan.

Cynan..

I'd tried Win2k before and I'd problem with the IRQs. The problem is Win2k assigns all IRQ of my peripheral cards to 9 and I've an ASUS v7700 Geforece2 PTS which hang since I could not assign a different IRQ manually (I've assigned IRQ 11 in the BIOS). Do you have any suggestion?

BTW, I just got my additional 256Meg over the weekend. I will not say

it rocks but the loading of programs are a bit faster even if I

launch a couple of tasks consecutively. Sure ME will be able to handle

512Meg.

Also when I used SYSINFO to display my memory after booting up ME it showed available physical memory was 365Meg. Seems like ME utilize 147Meg during bootup when I use 512Meg. Any idea if I use only 256Meg

what will be the available physical mem then?

Regards.

Prum555

cool

I'm not sure how you manually assign IRQs in 2K. I'm sure you can do it though. I just looked at mine, and it seems my GeForce is on its own, guess I'm lucky!

I did notice my SB Live! sharing an IRQ with my RAID controller though.. don't like that look of that, but I've not had any problems with it, so it must be o'kay.

--Cynan.

Win9x platforms don't perform as well as NT-based platforms when using large amounts or memory (256MB or more). I have never seen any real usable increases when going over 128MB in a 9x box.

As far as the IRQ situation:

1. Most systems have no issues sharing IRQs. I have many systems running Win2K, ranging from Dells with a simple ATI Rage 128, to my main workstation using an AOpen AX-34 (Apollo Pro 133A Chipset) and a Hercules GeForce2 Pro.

2. You *can* assign IRQs in Win2K, provided you disable ACPI support during setup. You could try to convert an existing machine to non-ACPI, but I haven't seen one successfully pull it off.

Yeah, I agree with clutch. I tried to switch Win2k from an ACPI system, but it didn't work. The IRQ sharing does not pose a problem really. I have a ton of stuff on the same IRQ, but I have had no problems with it.

If it's not causing hardware problems for a cold hard fact on your system, leave the IRQs alone, unless you want to drive yourself nuts.

Seriously, if you want to have that much RAM, Win2k will make better use of it. I've also heard Win9x cannot handle more than 512MB without a problem, and that may be pushing your system.

The Asus card: If you don't have the Deluxe version, go with the Nvidia reference drivers. I've found that the manufacturer's driver's screw stuff up. I'd get BSOD's after exiting a game due to the drivers it came with. I got the reference drivers and everything worked fine. The 12.00's are supposed to be pretty good, but try some out and see what you like.

Brian, Clutch and Cynan

Thanks for your good suggestions. I like to use Win2k if I can solve the IRQ problem. I agree with you guys about Win2k is a more stable platform since it is a full 32bit OS. I will keep on searching for an anwser to the problem of IRQ assignment. I will inform you guys by posting here if I have any findings. BTW, if you come across some good lead do send me a note at prum555@hotmail.com.

Cheers and regards.

For another notch and Happy Happy..

Prum555 cool

to the one having hanging problems in 2k. Are you running an Athlon system? If so, install service pack 2 along w/ the aMD registry patch. I don't think it has anything to do w/ the acpi irq management. but yeah download those patches then see what happens

ValkyerieK7

My config is

MoBo ASUS P3V4X - BIOS 1006b Beta

CPU PIII 600EB not O/C

Mem 516Meg @ PC133

Video Card ASUS V7700 GeForce2 PTS Pure 32Meg DDR

I remember seeing the knowledge base saying that the vcache needs to be modified or something. Oh yeah ..prum I think you need to install service pack 2. That include the VIA AGP fix. That could be why your 3d apps were hanging in win2k. At least according to MS.

Quote:

to the one having hanging problems in 2k. Are you running an Athlon system? If so, install service pack 2 along w/ the aMD registry patch. I don't think it has anything to do w/ the acpi irq management. but yeah download those patches then see what happens

Yeah, people are far too quick to blame the shared IRQs (a la ACPI) for their problems, when it is in fact very rare for it to be the cause of the problem.

I like aCPI .not only does it turn off my pc automatically when I shut down, it allows me to add pci cards at will heheh

Buy more RAM. You can get a stick of Micron PC133 256mb over at computersupersale.com for $39.

Got a dual boot of Win2000 SP2 and Win Millennium, running on Athlon 750 SLOT A, Asus K7V, 512 MB PC133 RAM, GeForce2 MX, blah blah. WinME doesn't seem to perform any better from jumping from 256 MB, but it did when I bumped from 128 to 256. WinME is no different, but I found that Deus Ex, UT, and Quake 3 all load quicker. I suggest you get it anyway cuz when RAM is cheap you gotta swing for it. As for Win2k, the system is more smoother with 512 over 256 especially when loading a memory hog game like UT or Q3 with programs like ICQ open. In most other application use like Office 2000 or Photoshop, no difference from 256 megs, but if you work with larger files, you will get a boost.

I think ACPI support is essential and thus you shouldn't bother with it. Just grab the latest SP pack for Win2k, and BIOS update for your motherboard and all will be well, I am sure.

Guys..

I finally have to give in and traded in my ASUS P3V4X mobo and replace it with an Intel D851EPEA mobo. Of course I need to replace my CPU chip also. One thing for good is that now I have no problem to upgrade to Win2000 and using AGP 4x. My current configuration is;

Mobo : Intel D815EPEA

CPU : PIII 866EB (have to give up my PIII 600EB slot!)

Video : ASUS v7700 Geforce2 GTS 32Meg DDR SGRAM

S/C : Sound Blaster Live Value

HDD : Maxtor Diamond Max 40 - 30GB @ 7200rpm ATA-66

Mem : 512Meg DIMM @ 133Mhz

and my 3DMark2000 score is 6502.

So I am an happy face again.

Kick in for another notch and a big BAM!

Prum555

I have 512MB SDRAM PC133 and runs great on both WinME and Win2k.

I find the more the better, but 512MB is probably anoth anyway.

---------------------------------

1.2Ghz AMDK7 Athlon Thunderbird

512MB PC133 Hyundai RAM

ATX Gigabyte 71XE4 Motherboard

40GB Seagate ATA/100 5400RPM

16x 10x 40x LiteON ReWriter

40x Compaq CDDrive

36x Creative CDDrive

17" NEC Monitor

64MB Nvidia GeForce 2Mx

Ambient 56k V.92Fax Modem

Creative 128PCI Soundcard

Hauppage WinTV Card with Radio

WindowsME

Windows2000Professional SP2

Just so you guys know, there is an issue with irq 9 in win2k. Ive seen this about 3 times now. For some reasons, certain configurations will get stuck with having all expansion cards placed on irq 9. video, sound, network, modem, etc. etc.

The reason for this, as far as i know, is unknown. There is a fix though. Like clutch said, it has to do with ACPI controlling your irqs. You have to turn it off. I know this sucks, but its better than an unstable system. In order to turn it off, you must install the OS in Standard Mode. When you begin the install of win2k, if you look at the bottom of the screen it will ask you to push f6 for scsi and raid drivers. When it asks you to do this, push F5. This will bring up a little menu that has a few different options, one of them being Standard Mode. Select it and continue on with the install. When install is finished, you will notice that irq 9 will only have one device on it.

Hope this helps for future reference...

The IRQ sharing is usually not the problem. It gets branded as the culprit even though it rarely is. I have 8 devices on IRQ 9, including my sound, video, extra IDE controllers, my nic...

This has been running very stable.

Some of the problem is with the BIOS, usually in older systems, that has poor ACPI implementation and can cause problems.

Brian, you are lucky that your setup is stable then. Do a search on these forums for old posts on the IRQ "9" subject. I had a local friend of mine actually make a post asking for help. He is an MCSE with an incredible amount of knowledge, and he could not get his system stable until he installed 2k in standard mode which eliminated the huge amount of sharing with irq 9. Needless to say..the guys from this board helped him out with the same solution i have provided. Don't believe me...do a search.

Anyways, my post was just to further your guys' knowledge on this topic. You can abosrb it or reject it, i don't really care either way.

I seem to remember reading about problems with the 9x Kernal and 512mb of memory..I used to have win 98 se and had 512mb of memory...the trick I found was that you have to disable the virtual memory settings and put them I believe at a low setting so that windows will use the memory...instead of trying to cache large amounts of data on the HD....and this was were the error came from...I also had to install a 3rd party memory manager I saw one at ANALOGX...but now I run win xp...which handles it just fine in fact....I now have a 512mb stick,256mb stick and a 128mb stick...all cas 2 MICRON...7.3ns memoroy...which gives me a (896mb)891mb that is what the os registers it as..works just fine ...my TYAN TRINITY K7 (SLOT A) with the majic cache 900mhz processor (you know the classic with the 512mb l2 cache) is rated at handling 1 gig...

but at the time ...I was running a 700mhz (classic) and 512kb (2 256mb)cas 2 micron 8.ns at the time...You have to disable windows from setting your virtual memory and download a 3rd party memory manager...Windows cannot handle anything over 256mb...but with the 3rd party memory manager it can....hope this helps you.

I also before I went to winxp I had win2K installed...I had none of the problems....that you mentioned about the IRQ setting though....I had a tnt2m64 video card....a legacy *ISA* sound card...2 NIC cards...but yet my friend who had the VIA B686 chipset seemed to have the problems with IRQ steering....the trick to getting the thing to work right is in the bios..where you do have it reserve the irq...and the thing that worked for him was available for via chipsets only ...from viaarena.com is labled -----74 patch...as near as I can remember...once he installed the ---74 patch and the latest...via 4 in 1 ' ...the trick to those is installing them in sequence...install the 74 patch first...then start with 4.30 and then work your way up to the latest ones...they say that they are cumulative...I have not found them to be...and you have to reboot after each of the changes...with this way we had mutch success...he does not get the Large file transfer problems......IF you are getting the NV4 Loop...let me know...I know how to fix that...let me give you a clue...the fix for this is in your memory timing and it is in the bios...

oh yah on a side note...through all of this I have been running dual monitors....with a Pci Video card S3trio...and a NVIDIA CARD....I plan on getting the GF4 TI4400...I am currently running in my other computer my tnt2m64 and in my Current computer am running the S3 video card with a GF3 TI 200....

ASUS of course...

Quote:

I remember seeing the knowledge base saying that the vcache needs to be modified or something. Oh yeah ..prum I think you need to install service pack 2. That include the VIA AGP fix. That could be why your 3d apps were hanging in win2k. At least according to MS.

Thing is, if you modify the vcache to occupy the RAM above 512Mb you lose the benefits (if any) of having more than 512Mb any so whats the point? You'd be better off install 2k (or better yet, XP) and being done wit it.

And about ACPI and IRQ sharing, I'm almost positive that it was the cause of random IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL to BSODs under Win2k when I went to run certain games (particularly those that used EAX) since my video card (a PCI Riva TNT) was sharing the same IRQ as my sound card (a "notorious" SBLive!). I've come to this conclusion after installing XP and finding that the SBLive! now only shares its IRQ with the USB controller and not the video card. If someone can come up with a better explanation I'd love to hear it.