Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mua_Dib

Unable to create new dial-up connection

For some strange reason after a re-boot my dial-up connection icon no longer exsists!

I tried re-creating the connection but when i get to step three where it wants me to name the connection it wont accept the default name or any name i attempt to enter.....it wont accept anything.

It responds "'blah' is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a different name."

I have recently added SP2.

Help! frown

Win2k.

But never mind, i finally worked it out......

Interesting to....

I turned off my event logging service and thats when my dial-up icon dissappeared (after a re-boot). I found out it was the event logging service completely by mistake.

I did a text search on 'chello2k' (the name of the missing icon) on my system drive and it turned up a file name called 'rasphone.pbk' thinking my answer layed in this file i tried to run it and it wouldn't let me because the event logging service was not running. So i turned it back on so i could access the file and lo-and-behold my icon magically re-appeared. Strange huh? (i'll find out why one day so it wont seem so strange)

Anyone know why rasphone.pbk is dependant on event logging running?

I have the same problem with Windows 2000. Can you tell me what to do after I keep getting the statement about "blah. The entry must contain.. etc" which makes the Wizard unable to create a user name?

Mua_dib is quite right and his is the first useful solution to what has had me stumped for many months. You'd never think of that in a million years. Many thanks to mau_dib and the usual additional pin in the wax doll of the worlds richest man.

Freaky, Once this was fixed has anyone tried recreating the scenario? I would try it but I don't want to mess around with a computer that's not mine. Will try when I get home.

Well, MS wants you to do an in place upgrade, but I got the problem AFTER I did an in-place upgrade (because of a new motherboard). Here's the fix that worked for me: "garethcummings" solution to the same problem on experts-exchange.com http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20803479.html

Deleting these two keys - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\25

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP\26

did the trick. Read the whole solution, though.

One caveat: it took literally a couple of minutes after I rebooted before the machine responded - it seemed to "freeze", although I still had mouse movement. After this period, though, my previously "lost" connection reappeared, and I didn't have to set up a new connection.