Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

What Linux would anyone recommend since i want to try to lea

I am curious what linux yall think is the best to try. I have done alittle linux but not like a whole lot. Just alittle on my computer where i finally installed a program , etc hehe. It was on redhat 6.1 if i remember right but forgot.

thinking about just going to slackware 7.1 because you got to learn hard linux sooner or later i would think.

Any help would be appreicated

thank you

Mandrake 8.0

Then Redhat.

I'm trying to get back into Linux myself. I've installed Mandrake 8.0 on my 40gb drive but haven't found time for it with all of the beta testing I'm doing. Luckily I have a Sidewinder firewall at work which uses a bastardized version of BSD. So That helps me fine tune my linux skillz. There really isn't much to it if you have a strong DOS background. It also helps to print out the documentation. FIRST THING: GO TO THE VERY BACK AND TRY OUT THE COMMANDS ONE BY ONE. Pick what you find interesting at first and read the documentation for each command. That is the very best way to become 733t at linux.

smile

I haven't done much with Linux, but yeah, Mandrake is good. That's the only distribution I've run before. It's a highly recommended distro of Linux by the community, since it's good for both newbies and Linux vets.

yup, Mandrake is pretty easy... though like any of the Linux Distros u will learn into the command line... in anycase its fun to learn that stuff anyways, one day they might make Tests for Linux....when linux rules the desktops lol

Mandrake is pretty good but I had some issues with v8.0 lately frown

I would recommend Suse Linux 7.2 - Professional Lots of manuals help help you out smile

Mandrake 8 for sure!!! Been playing with it now for 3 weeks and have learned a great deal.