Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tallcool1

network browsing hesitation

Ok, I have a feeling that the only way to correct this is to reinstall the OS but being that is a rather drastic move I hoped the knowledgable people in this forum might have some suggestions.

I have a peer to peer network setup using a Linksys 4 port router using DHCP. I have 4 clients on the network, 1 is WIN98SE the others are Win 2000SP2. I have a problem with my DELL I8000 Laptop connected to the network. When I try to browse the a machine on the local network it hesitates a couple seconds between folder naviation. It only seems to do so when going someplace on the network I hadnt already been that session. This seems to definatly be a config issue in the OS because None of the other machines on the network have the issue and the laptop is setup in a dualboot config with WinME (yuck)

But in ME the same machine doses not have the issue. Also it is not a NIC adapter isse becasue I have tested using 3 different NICs (a 3COM in the docking station), a Linksys 16bit 10/100+56K Linksys PCMCIA card, and a Lucent MiniPCI 802.11b wireless card.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Cynan has recomended that people with slow browsing delete this key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur

rentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D62

77990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

Normally, however, with a proper name resolution system in place (WINS, DNS, DDNS) on the network you wouldn't see performance dips like this from NT-based machines.