Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UnreaLord

Win2k and Internet

In the last few days, when I connect to the internet (Motorola SM56 Fax Modem), I make it normally....it connects! But when I try to open a page it seems to download data (the little blue monitors at the bottom right of the screen are continuously blue,you know...) but nothing! MSN Messenger cannot login and in general I cannot do anything! I re-installed the modem, but in vain! Tell me waht to do....internet(which is the main reason I installed Win2k) doesn't work....... frown

Pls help !!!

Thnx in advance

Do you get an IP address?

Try a free internet service and see if that works. That will tell you if it is your ISP or your modem.

If you don-t get any IP adress from your ISP, just try reinstalling the dialup to your ISP.

Make sure multilink is disabled for your modem.

Our internet connection was working fine, and then one day the modem would still connect but we were unable to do anything with it. It took a while, but we eventually tracked it down to a well hidden option in the modem options for the connection properties called "multilink" which for some unknown reason was enabled by default, and the ISP had disabled multilink capability hence why it stopped working. (Multilink enables you to connect to an ISP with 2 modems over 2 phone lines for double the speed.)

Just check it to make sure.