Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
goofy422

Com5?!?!?!?

ok i just bought a USR 56k modem from a local computer retailer, when i install it, it was detected find and asked for the drivers. OK so far so good, but when i popped in the disk that came with it, it did not find any drivers. ok bad, so i looked into the disk and found and zip exe, the kind that autounzip to somewhere. Ok i unzip and used the files from that to install drivers. It found drivers within those files. ok so far so good. But when i look at the modem properties it said COM5! ok COM 1 and 2 are there too. but when i try to talk to the modem for more info, i get an error and get nothing.

so im wondering if i can change that COM5 to COM 3 or something.

I try removeing and reinstalling, same thing. delete the inf for it and reinstalled it. no good. This is on a newly built computer, just built yesterday, by me for a friend. I built many computers with all different kinds of setup, but this USR Modem is the last thing that need to take care of and it has me stump. (building for newbie and he has no Brodband access) Here is a brief spec of this new computer.

AMD 1000Mhz 266

Abit KT7-A Motherbord

PC133 256mb

IBM 40gig ATA100/72000rpm

Sony 52x CD-ROM

GeForece2 MX 64mb AGP

SBlive 5.1

USR 56k v.90 non-voice modem

WIN98SE

Very fast computer everything works great but the USR modem.

Any Ideas? Change Modems? or is there a work around?

Sorry about the mess, morning post!

Thanks for anything!

confused

whip on over to the manufacturers website and get up to date V.92 drivers for the modem. About the com port...is there jumpers on the card at all??? You may have to change the jumper settings to get the modem to use a different com port. Try to get it to use com port 2, that is if you can. I had the same problem with a jumperless board back in the day with a p200mmx and I remember that being a royal pain in the ***. SO, im sorry I cant be of more help, but try drivers from the website (I assume you have some inet access, noting message above).

Oh i have internet access, see I dont know if that modem is really from USR, or it could be a modem that uses and USR (3com) chipset. I will look into, thanks for u help! smile

Frist disable Com2 in the Bios.

If the card has jumper on the board change it to from PnP mode to Com2 IRQ 3 it is and ISA card rigth ?.

You should find number on the modem box it self & number you can also find on the modem it self it a fair long sticker.

Sounds good, i forgot to check the motherboards bios, thanks i'll do that, anyone else wanna try?

Thanks SHS!

I got it to work, even with com5. I changed the port address for com1 and com2 to AUTO in my Abit motherboard Bios. Restarted, and reinstalled drive, and that was it. It still say COM5 but it now responds when i click more info. Try dialing up and there, that computer has internet. Still dont like that COM5, but Not Bad.

laugh Thanks for any Help, Problem Solved! laugh