Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Erock

Counterstrike: is anyone running opengl/d3d with TNT2 and Wi

I am running counterstrike on my Win2k professional workstation in

'software' rendering mode. I have tried and tried to get either OpenGL or D3D modes to work with no luck, and am wondering... is anyone able to get either of these modes to work?

My box is a SM P6SBU, P3 800, 256 mb, and a Viper 770u (TNT2U) video

adapter.

I have tried various drivers (incl the new detonator 12.40) and installation procedures (for the drivers) with the same results:

1) OpenGL doesnt work; when I fire up a game it says something like 'OpenGL is not supported by this video card'

I have read numerous places that Win2k does not support opengl at all (for any video cards) can anyone confirm/deny that opengl will run on Win2k? The detonator drivers I install have an opengl 'dll' but obviously it doesnt do jack. The advanced tab on the display properties also has some opengl tweak settings.. is there something in here that will help get this working?

2) D3D mode freezes randomly after the map loads. Sometimes its at the intro screen, other times its a few minutes after the the game/map starts. The 'freezing' requires a complete reboot. I found some suggestions about setting agp apeture size, but that didnt make any difference... any ideas/comments about this one?

I have researched all over looking for an answer and havent found anything definitive posted anywhere.. it seems alot of Win2k users are having problems, and there is no posted solutions out there...

Is anyone running Win2k and a TNT card successfully in one of these modes? Software mode produces 30ish fps... and that just isnt enough.

I also read several people claim the 'older' detonator' driver work better..can anyone confirm/deny which versions?

If no solutions exist for this videocard, can someone recommend a new

adapter that would work better in Win2k? esp in these modes?

Thanks in advance

Erock

If you're in the market for a new card, a GeForce 2 MX-based card is good enough, and you can find ones for $100 or less easily. Open GL is supported by Win2k, and that's good, because HL and all Sierra games based on HL have a black screen when I exit the game, so I have to use Open GL. I can't say for sure, but the later 6.xx and 7.52 Det's are supposedly good for the TNT2's. For my GeForce 2 MX, I have had the best luck with the 10.80 Det's.

Brian, I didn't think you of all people would recommend him to get a new card, when he obviously doesn't need one.

Erock - the drivers you want are version 5.32, these are the fastest for the TNT2 range of graphics cards.

Win2k is fully compatible with OpenGL, but make sure you have at least Service Pack 1 installed - it gives a great performance increase in games.

Get these drivers from Efa11's Driver Archive.

I was just recommending it if he wanted to get a new card. However, seeing as this is the only time I've seen someone have a problem with a TNT2, and an Ultra no less, I was thinking it had to be with the drivers. Unfortunately, I can only use my GF2MX as a reference, so the best drivers for my card may be totally wrong.

I should've been more clear on the video card thing. A better comparison would be my Voodoo 3 3000 AGP. That runs HL just fine, so CS should be running smoothly on that TNT2Ultra, because it's closer in performance to the Voodoo 3's. I don't see why the TNT2 cards don't run CS fine, since HL is based on Quake and Quake II, and Voodoo 3's were out well after Quake was, so the technology is there.

Sorry if I confused anyone. The TNT2's should be more than enough to run anything based on HL(CS, OpForce, etc.). So try the drivers David suggested, since he has a TNT2 card, and he's stated how well CS (right?) runs with that. wink

Wait!

I have the exact same card as you. A viper 770 and use w2k.

I have no problems at all. Don't give up yet, I'll help you more when I get home as I'm in a rush.

Take care

- Card

Yeah

I've got a GF2MX now, but last week I had a TNT2 Pro, and before that, a TNT2 M64...

In win2k, with the pro i was getting 60-80fps @ 1024x768 on my K6-III 450, but that's a lot of tweaking.

The reason yours is only hitting 30fps is because its in software mode.

Also, make sure you have v-sync off, as half-life limits the framerate to half the refresh rate if it's on.

With detonator2's 5.32 half-life WILL work. However, if for some bizzare reason they dont, use the WHQL 7.58.

i have a tnt2 m64 that i run with the 10.80 dets on win200proand have had no problems with either d3d or open gl you might want to give those a try if you haven't already.i get about 54fps in UT and and about the same in Q3, i run everythin in 1024x768 at 32bit color.

my system is athlon 600@663,352megs of ram, msi 6195 mainboard.

probably does'nt help any because i really dont know what would cause your problem that's kinda wierd.also like david said make sure you have sp1 installed

Quote:
et in arcadia ego

i have a viper 770 tnt2 16mb and it works fine, using detonator 6.47s with win2k. i think you need to get new video drivers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have made some progress, but Im still not quite there. I am hoping some of you can help get me over the hump....

I tried all the driver suggestions people have made, and settled on the 10.80 detonators. All the other drivers gave the same 'opengl mode not supported' message, and also crashed the system in d3d mode (the 5.32 seemed the most stable - the crashes only happened every 2 hours or so).

The 10.80 drivers crash in d3d mode, but I have hope for opengl. I *do not* get the mode not supported error.

Instead, CS loads a 'play cs' splash screen that never goes away. I can hear the game running in the background, but I cant see it. If I <esc> out to the menu and go back I get a dull green/blank screen (and I can hear the game).

I have done so much frigging research on this project, that I am sure I remember reading about other people having this same problem... but I couldnt find those messages when I looked again tonight.

Does anyone have a solution for this? I feel SOOOOOO close.

Thanks again in advance for all your help, its very appreciated.

Erock

I feel SOOOOO close.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

If you're loading CS via a shortcut, remove "-game cstrike -console" from it, load cs manually, and that "play cs" screen should go away.

Have you tried the 7.58 WHQL drivers?

They're the drivers i mainly used for win2k, and they worked perfectly for me.

Make sure you've got the latest AGP/Motherboard drivers, and depending on how old your motherboard is, you might want to flash your BIOS - i flashed mine with an updated version that had the "TNT2 problem fixed"...Just a thought.

In regard to the crashing, are you sure the problem doesn't lie somewhere else? Overheating?

How much RAM do you have and how good quality is it?

Ok.. Im a little closer. Removing the -console command allowed the game to start up in opengl mode, but, after playing for 15 mins the game froze (just like in d3d). This was with the 7.58 drivers

Unless someone has some other radical idea.. I think the video card is going to win this one...

I do have a quick question/comment. I browsed device manager by IRQ earlier and noticed that my video card shares an IRQ with my network card. I was thinking if I could get my video card its own IRQ that might help... but it wasnt obvious how to do this in win2k. Any pointers? Does this need to be done at the bios level?

As for bios version etc, Im almost certain I am running all the latest stuff here. Ill go triple check to make sure, but I dont think that is it.

The case itself is well ventilated, and I am using 256mbs of micron memory, so I don't think its memory related either. Also, other games/applications run just fine.

Anyway, Thanks again for all the help.

Erock