Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShoeHornOPlenty

Cant Install AIM on XP 2475

I have tried installing both versions 4.3 and 4.7 and neither of them work. 4.3 wont complete installation, it gets stuck at 67% and when I install 4.7, it finishes the install, but then anytime I launch the program, it just gives me an error msg telling me I should try reinstalling the program, any ideas as to how to get this thing working in 2475?

AIM 4.7 will NOT work in 2474+. Ironically enough, this is probably because AOL tried to make AIM more XP aware, and it broke under 2474. In beta 2, AIM 4.7 had the new XP look.

Anyway, you have to use 4.3. In order to get it to install, you have to save the executable to disk, and run it from there. It took me a few tries, but eventually it installs.

If it hangs, stop it IMMEDIATELY. Also, check the dir you chose to install to. You may find a 500+MB file sitting there.

I have been an AOL beta tester since AOL 3.0 and AIM is currently in beta testing for compatibility with XP but I have noticed the same thing that it broke on 2475 and haven't tested it since on 2481 or 2486. I will contact aol and check to see what's up with that bug and if it is Microsoft's or AOL's problem (or both)

-Joey

If you are a BETA tester tell me the "bug" that if you load a saved buddy list and uncheck merge it won't show your buddies till you sign-off and re-signon and also it doesn't load your sound preferences, but you can save sound preferences, I emailed them but I don't know if they got it or not. This is on Win2k SP2.

That Trilian program is kind of cool but I am not too crazy about it, I still want to be able to install and use plain old AIM on XP 2475, its looking like I might have to just wait till I get my RC 1 CD in the next week or 2