Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
D.F. Angel

IE question?

Simple question for the masses?? Which Internet Explorer is the best to use, in terms of security and stability, 5.01 or 5.5 SP1

I think most would agree with 5.01. I have had nohting but trouble with 5.5 and 6.0.

I have to agree that given a choice of 5.01 or 5.5, 5.01 is by far much more stable - however, I have the "Public Preview" version of IE6 installed here for the past week and havent had any problems yet.

I've got nothing against IE 5.5 SP1.

That's why I've rolled it out company wide as the standard browser on all Windows workstations.

5.5 Works great for me. I used to use Netscape but now I just have IE ON my system

Cheers

Thanks for the input....I'm going to stick with 5.01 alittle while longer and see how things turn out..

The only thing i have against IE 5.5 is that i have to do an online download of it everytime if format smile i would like all the setupfiles on my machine. like with the network version of the servicepack. So until someone tells me if it's possible to download the complete IE5.5 package, then i'll use it.

I was previously using IE 5.5 and it was a very good browser, would almost never crash. Now I have 6.0 public preview and it's a little different, but still very stable. It takes a little bit longer to open though. I wouldn't recommend it on a machine slower than 400Mhz + 160MB ram.

I stuck w/ 5.01 personally because 5.5 seemed a bit bloated to me and it does some funky stuff w/ outlook express as well

IE 5.01 in my opinion. IE 5.5 gives weird script errors. Anywho some people still use Netscape also.

My school for example.

Brought in 30 brand new state of the art (well it was 2 months ago) 933 OptiPlex computers with Windows 2000 SP1 installed. Get this.... they still use Netscape 4.7 while the IE icon is in the Quick task bar and right on the desktop. I really don't know how smart the administrators are....:D

Mozilla in my opinion is good, especially now edging towards a 1.0 release. Netscape is old and sluggish...

My 2 cents,

Yvo

The reason why that administrator does not use IE might be because he has something against the monopolistic Microsoft. There is a growing movement for anti-Microsoft, especially among the Linux community. Then why not change to the Linux platform you ask? Well, the users might object to its unfamiliarity. And lastly, the administrator might have overlooked the taskbar thinking IE isnt on there. (Another example of the in-your-face attitude of Microsoft)

Quote:

The only thing i have against IE 5.5 is that i have to do an online download of it everytime if format smile i would like all the setupfiles on my machine. like with the network version of the servicepack. So until someone tells me if it's possible to download the complete IE5.5 package, then i'll use it.

ie5setup /c:"ie5wzd.exe /d /s:""#E"""

put that in a bat file in the folder that has ie5setup.exe in it and run the bat file