Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jrc384k

Full Install Win2k Pro from Upgrade CD?

Title says it all but here are the details. I am currently dual booting Windows Mistake Editon and Win2k Pro (Mistake Edition Killer). I am now confident that all my hardware and software are compatible so I want to make the switch. I DO NOT want to upgrade WinME to 2k since it will cause "OS Decay" in the long run and I want to start fresh. What I want to do is format my hard drive and install 2k from an upgrade CD. I understand that it was possible with Windows 98 and ME and I want to know if you can do it with the 2k upgrade. If it is possible can someone please give instructions on the procedure? It it's possible I will go with 2k Pro until XP Pro comes out. If not I will have to live with Mistake Edition and wait for XP Home. Any info will be gratly appreciated.

You can put in the Win2K Pro Upgrade CD, delete the partition and reformat it, then install Win2K Pro without having an OS currently installed. The only extra thing that will happen versus a full retail CD is that you will be prompted to insert a "qualifying product" CD (Win95/98/ME/NT) before it will complete the install.

ME doesn't work--at least the promo upgrade doesn't. However, I've used the upgrade for 98 and it works all the time.

Thanks for the info Clutch and Brian Frank. Can anyone of you please explain the procedure on how to do this with a blank formatted hard drive partitioned in FAT32? Thanks again. I guess I can use my upgrade CD. I almost went out and bought the full version when I don't need it.

Dude, go into your BIOS and tell it to 'Boot From CD', put the Win2K CD in your drive, and boot. Just follow the instructions. At some point it will ask for your qualifying product, at which point you put in the other CD, then it will tell you to put the win2K CD back in, then more following of instructions, and you're set.

Simply put: follow the onscreen instructions.

-bZj

Thanks Down8 but that isn't possible. I integrated SP2 and made a CD of my own. The only problem is that the CD I made isn't bootable. I did make the boot disks though.

Make the boot disks was a smart move. I've seen it need to be used, or have used them on occasion. We've advanced so much, yet we still use the floppy! lol

To format it, you should be able to do this after the product upgrade verification. You'll reboot and have to go through the process again, but this time when it asks you about changing the filesystem, you just select to leave it intact and start the install. smile

if you have a system disk that will let your CD-roms work in DOS mode then you can just format the parition boot off the A: and then run <cd-rom>\i386\winnt.exe

The ME CD probly doesn't work because 2000 came out before ME.

Hmmm, 2000 came out before the Millenium. bwahahahahahahah!

Quote:

The ME CD probly doesn't work because 2000 came out before ME.

Hmmm, 2000 came out before the Millenium. bwahahahahahahah!

I don't need to point out that the new millenium started in 2001 do I?

2001 IF the dates are correct! which I seriously doubt... some say it was 10 years ago, others 10 years to go... who really knows!

Time isn't real anyhow, its mans concept, not that of the universe.