Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Seducer

Possible?

Is it possible to install two sound cards in a computer? y? because my 1st sound card has a built it IDE controller and im using it for my 10GB HD and 250Zip Drive. I have 4 IDE drive (2) 20 GB and (2) 30GB. I like the sound of my 1st sound card but I have another which is SB Live Platinum...

would it be possible?

Possible? Yes.

BUT (isn't there always a but?) - if you're only using the original soundcard for the IDE connections, you might as well swap that for another IDE controller, like one from Promise. You could probably pick up an ATA-33 or ATA-66 for a few dollars these days.

AndyF

AndyFair...really?...i saw the box of promise but i thought that its just an upgrade. Your built-in IDE controller will be disable once u install this card...well i guess i will try to look again at the store.

thanks

No, the motherboard IDE channels won't be disabled - so adding a Promise card will give you 4 IDE channels in addition to the 4 channels on your motherboard.

I know because I've done it - I've used Promise controllers in my PC for years - 3 hard drives, DVD, CD, CD-RW & Zip - and have never had the motherboard channels disabled.

The only awkward thing is that you can't put CDs etc. on the Promise controller unless they are on the secondary channel, with a hard drive on the primary - but the way round this is to put all of your CDs etc. on the motherboard IDE, all of your hard drives on the Promise controller, and boot from the Promise controller (you have to select "Boot from SCSI" in your BIOS).

Hope this helps,

AndyF