Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bando2000

How do I set up Peer to Peer with Win2K and WinMe

I use to have both of my systems connected together with WinMe. They both have ethernet cards and both are connected to a hub which is connected to a cable modem. I used to be able to transfer files and play LAN games without a hitch.

Can someone explain or send me a sight where I can get these to back to being Peer to Peer. Thanks in advance.

Ok before I used NTSF format with Win2k I could see my other box which is winME. Both cards have ehternet cards and both connect to a hub. I have tried Lmhost. No luck!! I have tried many other things. Could I get some post on suggestions for this. I am lost. One thing when I try to connect to the win2000 from winme box. It says enter a password to connect. I tried every password I can think of but nothing. On the Win2k box I get nothing at all.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Had that problem, you'll need to enable the 'guest' account in your user group on the 2K box.

ya an enableing that account, place the "guest" as the login name on your ME machine. But i dont kow if youll be able to see anything besides the computer, as the files system is not readable be ME (NTFS).

Quote:

place the "guest" as the login name on your ME machine

You don't need to do that bit. Just enable guest on the Win2k box.

I am still same problem. But I think you are all right about guest having to be enabled. I gave guest a password. But when I try to log on the window 2000 as guest and use the password. It says this uses is disabled and you need to see the administrator. Will I thought I was enabling it right.

You do go to control panel then user password. And then from there you can add or remove users right. And then they should be enabled right or wrong.

Thanks again.

Go to computer management (right-click My Computer -> Manage)

Navigate to "Local Users and Groups" then "Users".

Double click on "Guest" and untick "Account is disabled".

You don't need a password on the guest account unless you actually want it to have one. Leave it blank and the other machine will log in to it automatically.

The last response from Xiven fixed the issue with WinMe viewing Win2k. I saw that several times but didn't think about it till you posted that reply.

One last issue. Win2K still comes up with no network or computer found. But on WinMe I can view all of Win2k. But Win2K can not view WinMe. Is there something like that on WinMe that I need to do so Win2K can view it.

Thank You For All the Help

You might need to check the protocols on the ME box. I had a 98 box that I couldn't access, but later found out it was using Netbui. So I ended up installing that protocol on the 2k box and was then able to see that 98 box.