Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pseudome

Win2k SP2 is evil...EEEEEEVIL!

This is a VERY strange goof...Very. Did I mention the "very" part? wink

So I install SP2. I ran into one oddity upon reboot in which my desktop was just, gone (except for my wallpaper for some reason). I had forced 2k into "ClassicShell" mode to chase away that IE 5 look, so I figured perhaps that's what was messing the system up. Sure enough, boot into safe mode, change the value in the registry, reboot and all is well.

HOWEVER, there is still one HORRIBLE problem that remains. You know those dialogue boxes that Windows throws up whenever, oh, lets say you're installing new drivers, and you need to browse directories to find them? Or perhaps you're familiar with Media Player...you know when you go to open a file and it pops up a dialogue box that allows you to browse for files? Those "browsing" dialogue boxes _NO LONGER WORK_.

It seems like anything that uses one of those standard Windows "browse" dialogue boxes just does not work anymore...Active Movie, Media Player 6.4, 7, Winamp, installation routines, etc.

Does ANYONE have any clue as to what might be causing this? As I said, it's VERY strange, and I've never seen anything like this. Insight of any degree would be seriously appreciated.

did you do a system backup or at least enabled the service pack to allow later uninstallation? if not, you could try reapplying it or running system file checker. i don't think there is a lot you could do w/o backup.

here's another sad truth to the alleged Service pack 2. Check out the register and you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

Well this does not bode well my brothers.

Sev's screenshot is the most disturbing. I have not installed it yet as I am now a touch skeptical. The 'it is working well' comments are not at all helpful, it is the 'this is crapola' comments are the ones I pay attention to.

Keep the posts coming, is SP2 all that we have been waiting for, or is it a pile of Shiz?

A complete reinstall of Win2k, and THEN applying SP2 seemed to work just fine. In fact, everything is running quite nicely now.

My guess is, I did so many registry hacks during my first installation, SP2 freaked and couldn't figure out how to properly apply itself. Just a guess however.

Works fine for me. Even fixed a problem I had with mame freezing. Also got a slight speed boost, from my sp1 with all driver updates, I don't see anything wrong with it, but maybe for once i'm just lucky:-)

-Amnesiac

Well after reading the snippit from activewin, I re installed service pack 2. Things are going fine right now. A lot of fixes and what not.

Please don't tell me you believed something The Register said...

iexplorermem.gif

so i don't know what sev's problem is, but its not sp2s fault. quite frankly sp2 hasn't caused me and turmoil and hopefully fixed probs i didn't know about before.

STi Steve-I have a great way to save the 22megs of IExploder ram wastege: run "IEradicator 2000" from www.98lite.net . On first boot, with nothing running, Win2000 uses about 15megs less RAM then when IE is installed. Then use Opera the 5.11 browser.

RAM?? who carez about ram when u got a gig ;-)

SP2 seems to work fine after applying it as a fresh install. I'd gost the system before applying it to an all configured system.

Quote:
so i don't know what sev's problem is, but its not sp2s fault. quite frankly sp2 hasn't caused me and turmoil and hopefully fixed probs i didn't know about before.

It is SP2's fault.

Quote:
STi Steve-I have a great way to save the 22megs of IExploder ram wastege: run "IEradicator 2000" from www.98lite.net . On first boot, with nothing running, Win2000 uses about 15megs less RAM then when IE is installed. Then use Opera the 5.11 browser.

'eh!? No way! IE 5.01 SP2 is the only browser for me wink