Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SCR512

Inaccesable Boot Device

I just recently installed SP2 for Win2000, my system was working perfectly before this, I wasnt using SP1 because of the same problem, anyways i installed SP2 and rebooted, when booting i get the Inaccesable boot device blue screen, i'm thinking its Microsofts IDE driver, but i dont really know how to go about this...

System Specs

Epox 8KTA2 With Duron 800

128 meg ram

HD1: 20gig ATA/100

HD2: 10gig ATA/66

CD1:Mitsumi 40x

CD2:Creative Labs CD/RW 8x4x32

Try running the repair option off the Win2k cd.

Boot off it like you would to install, but instead of hitting "Enter" to install, hit "R" at the screen. Choose fast repair and then have Win2k cd find the installation for you.

Yeah, I did that and i'm back on win2k, but is there a possible fix so i can use SP2, i want to use SP2 because i've heard it has better memory management,compatibility all the good stuff, any ideas?

yup... 431 beta i believe.... i dunno, i think when sp2 installs it overwrites the ide driver.. its kinda funny cause, it only effects the 20 gig hd, not my other hd, so maybe it's something to do with the ATA/100 interface.. so what elese could this be....?

I had two hard drives one the master, the other the slave. I was dual booting with 98. I tried SP1 and got the message you are talking about. After reading many reply's from the forum. I decide to check my hardware out. I had two things wrong. One was that my second hard drive was on cable select and it had Win2k on it. I changed the jumper to slave. No problem. Then installed the SP1. Same thing again. I was hot. But then someone her suggested that I put Win2k on the master instead of the second drive and believe it or not. It fixed the problem. I now have SP2 on my system without a hitch. Other then SB Live Gamer has to be set to basic acceleration in DX to run D3D games without the crackling.

I hope this helps. And by the way if you have an SB Live the other fix is get a different sound card.

My advice, don't use VIAs drivers. SP2 has its own, and they work very well IMO. VIAs stuff always messes up my machine.

I have no problems with an SB Live! either. Its most strange to me how some ppl do though.

--Cynan.

hmm... I own a SB Live... and Win2K is on the master HD... so i guess i wont be using SP1 or SP2 for awhile, i guess i'll go pokeing around the computer checking the jumpers, and what not..