Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pimpin_228

for those who play half life

ok can someone lease help me with this when i try to play halflife it say could not open gfx/shell/btns_main.bmp but when i try lookin for the folder i don't see any of them please help

Is it straight HL you're playing or a mod?

If it's just HL, make sure you have all the latest pacthes for it, as they often include slightly updated sprites and HUD graphics.

If you are up to date, see if the files are on the HL CD and just copy them across to the right place.

If it's a mod, re-install it. That should help.

I'll check my own HL setup tonight when I get home (about 3 1/2 hours) and let you know what I have in that folder.

I have 45 files in that folder for a total of 1.01MB.

Personally I would remove HalfLife, make sure you have Win2k fully patched (SP1 and all Compatibility Updates), then reinstall it and patch it to the latest version (1.1.0.6).

You should find it will just work. I haven't had any probs with HL under Win2k, and I've been running it since just after its release.

I completely agree with pimpin, make sure you haev all the latest updates for both Windows 2000 and Half-Life, I would highly recommend you do a clean install of half-life and then reinstall the patch (1106) then try playing the game. I have never run into any kind of problems under windows 2000 with half-life (even less problems since I am running XP now) smile

Cody, i told you when i gave you the cd that you need to update it to the latest for win2k.

well i got the latest patch and it runs great btw i got a download off of planethalflife where i got the install of counterstrike and i can play that inline now and i love it so thanx guys

It seems I cannot get HL to work in opengl with a GeForce2 32mb mx video card. Runs laggy in D3d and I just upgraded from 3dfx banshee using custom drivers.

Specs:

Abit BE-6

latest bios

PIII 550

Win2k Pro servpk 1

SBLive Plat

NVidia GF2mx using nvoglnt.dll ver 1.12.01.631 for OpenGL driver.

Is there a solution to this?

Thanks guys for lookin into it!

J

I dont use D3D in HL because when I exit out to the menu, I cant see anything. So I use Open GL. What drivers are you using for the MX? I personally have had good luck with the 10.80 Detonator drivers ('Beta').

Try looking at http://www.m3dzone.com

I cant speak for everyone, but whenever Ive gone to or from a 3dfx card, even if its been uninstalled and all registry entries having to do with 3dfx, the performance is crappy, and things just get worse. The only fix is a fresh install, regardless of removing registry entries or not. Im not saying go do a reformat, but this is what Ive run into.

i get good results fo hl with 7.58 drivers but i havn't tried anything else though so try what you can and see what works

best drivers to date are the 12.20's

and i have tried the other drivers.

the reason im saying this is cos i use xp and they are the best for it as well.

i have gf2mx and have a constant fps in cs of 75 (ie my monitor refresh rate) at 1024

Yeah I tried those detonator drivers everything from the official release det3 to 12.20. However I get that damn "your video card does not support that video mode" error. Only fix I have so far is using the opengl.dll from Windows 2000 ver. 5.0.2160.1

Plus any det driver that utilizes DirectX 8.0a sucks in the D3d mode So I dropped back to det drivers 5.12.01.0688 and D3d works great just a lil laggy.

Can I rename a dll extension without screwing it up?

Peace,

J