Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dulanic

OpenGL games lock on exit.

I have built 2462 and have tried quite a few different video drivers, both Quake 3 and CS lock my PC sometimes when I quit the game... both are OpenGL, I havent seemed to have this problem with D3D. Any ideas?

Like I said I tried multiple drivers, 6.50, 7.52, 7.58, 10.80, 11.00, 12.00

What type of motherboard are you using. Try changing your AGP down to 1x, also make sure your AGP aperature size is 64mb and that UC mode is enabled.

Ill try it, tho I dont see it being the problem. I have a A7V133 and Ive been using AGP 4X, 128MB AGP size, and UCSW all along and never had a problem, but hey Ill try it anyways cause you never know. Here is my total system setup...

A7V133

T-Bird 1.2ghz @ 1.47Ghz (Yes I tried it at default)

256MB Mosel Rev2

Creative Annihilator Pro

SB Live!

Thats all that really matter... but im guessing its a software issue. Also Im not totally sure its OpenGL only, but it only happens with CS and Quake3... Baldurs Gate 2 and Red Alert 2 both exit fine. I havent tried any other games.

Also, have you consulted the ever famous GeForce FAQ?? Another thing, make sure there isn't a card occupying the PCI slot next to the AGP slot. The only other thing i can think of is to Upgrade BIOS. It only happens when you exit? If this is the case then the card is doing something screwy when reverting back to 2D mode. Is there any possiblilty that you can grab a different brand of video card from a friend to test? Possibly different Geforce (old 256) or an ATI or 3DFX card?

Well it hasnt happened again since I tried the 6.34 drivers and turned off "PCI Master Read Caching" "Delayed Transaction" and "Byte Merge" in the BIOS.... Im unsure which MAY have fixed it.... so Ill keep it as is for a day to make sure it really is fixed, and if so Ill try newer drivers again.

I have the same problem. Not with Q3 but when existing CS using OpenGL renderer. I am using 2462build of XP (BETA 2) with 12.00 WHQL drivers. Its not consistant. I dont have any background programs running. I cant seem to figure out what causes it. frown I feel your pain.

Athlon Tbird 1Ghz SlotA on MSI k7Pro

Geforce2 Ultra standard clocking

Winxp with 12.00 det's

300Watt Antec PWS

Raid, 10K SCSI, blah blah blah

I suggest u wait til Nvidia leaks some XP drivers, ATI ones work like a charm, fixed all small issues I had

I havent had time to test it out too much but I havent seen it pop up yet... so im pretty sure its fixed, but Im not 100% sure.

Just add me to the list. I've tried various drivers from 14.xx to 21.83 and 23.xx. Same problem all over, if I exit quake 3 or half-life blue-shift and the res and color depth differs from my desktop my computer hard locks.

No BSOD, it hangs while it redraws desktop. Definately issues in my videocard drivers. System specs:

Windows XP Pro

Asus P2B-DS

2x P3 800

Hercules Geforce 3 Ti 500

I don't want to come off as rude here..... but do you guys KNOW what the final build of XP is? 2600.... NOT WHAT YOU HAVE... why do you guys come here and post stuff on a NON offical product? Do any of you know what BETA MEANS? I mean come on people! BUY THE OFFICAL PRODUCT and if you have problems use your free support FROM MICROSOFT to get it fixed...

Just my 2 cents worth.

ASiDiE

yes beta versions of xp have problems with vid drivers, u need to upgrade to full version (2600) to be sure u dont get that again

Same lockups here. Visiontek GeForce 3 Ti200

Every time I exit CS, my system reboots. XP 2600, P3 800, 512 Ram. Didn't reboot w/ My GeForce 1, just froze on the desktop most of the time, but sometimes it would not.

Damn things hehe. frown

What is up with Nvidia? Win NT, Win2000, WinXP, Win98 on many different machines and they all crash one way or another. LOL I mean, I upgrade drivers and get stability in some games and not in others, next change switches it all around on me. It's getting better but really, I'd like to not have to worry about crashing during gameplay.

What is a tried and true BULLETPROOF setup? If one actually exists.

Oh well.

<Throws a brick at the 20in monitor> Im going back to my Tau flat in the livingroom and finish up HALO on my xbox. grrrrrr.

smile

Well you can always run cs in d3d or standard because i everyone i talk to on cs gl really only for people who wallhack and stuff like that

The only problem with that is the HL series will render a black screen when you escape out of a game. That's very annoying.

Quote:

Well you can always run cs in d3d or standard because i everyone i talk to on cs gl really only for people who wallhack and stuff like that

For some, OpenGL is sharper and much faster. The reason opengL is much better then direct3d. OGL is developed by SGI for years and is much more advanced than D3D. Its originally for advanced 3D programs, but is used by Carmack for a reason; take UT for instance. As an Direct3D game it cant get any more than 50-80 FPS while the same system can get up to 200 FPS in quake 3 (which is OpenGL based). Add to that that quake 3 has far superior graphics and SMP support. Now THATSs quality.

Ok sorry for that but I really fancy good quality stuff.

OpenGL is way faster for me too. For some reason, in Direc3D I get dismal performance, around 30 FPS, while in OGL the sky's the limit (actually I limit it to 85) smile

I use the 21.81s and I noticed that when I change the bitdepth OGL uses, along with the Vsync (on/off), the game locks up on exit. No BSOD, just freezes...I haven't narrowed it down to one or the other, but I'll test it more tonight.