Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sixpak

Getting a mail server to work

Sometime I really feel like an idiot...

I managed to install W2K Server, got DNS up and running (so it appears anyway) but I'm completely at a loss trying to get mail setup... no mailboxes, no working smtp, no pop3 server... I'm at a complete loss.

My experience is mainly the win95/98/ME and unix... no experience with win2k servers... Can anyone recommend some newbie frindly tutorials on setting up a mailserver?

I think you will need "Exchange Server" or another email server program. I use Internet Anywhere Mail Server from True North Software. It seems to do all I need to do.

The link:

http://www.tnsoft.com/

Yeah, you have to get the email application in order to have email support. The built-in smtp support provides smtp message forwarding more than anything else. I use Exchange 2000 at home, and Exchange 5.5 at the office. We have also used MDaemon (www.deerfield.com) which is a great little POP3-based system. Pretty cheap too.

Absolutely Incredible.

Easiest thing I've ever installed... It works perfectly. Thanks SO much!

The one from tnsoft - Soon as that reply came in I went and hit it and installed it. You hadn't posted your reply yet. Didn't even look at the one you provided to be honest, mainly because my wife has been *****in at me to get my mail server back up... It was necessity to make it work NOW!

Not that I didn't appreciate your reply. I just didn't have time to compare and evaluate. I needed smtp and pop3 working ASAP. So basically the first one that worked....

This beats the pants off of trying to configure exchange.