Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NikeShox

Mass Storage Controller

I just installed Windows 2000 on my computer (clean install/not a dual boot system) and the device manager is telling me that the Mass Storage Controller drivers for this device are not installed. The system seems to run fine, but it just bugs me that there is something missing...what could it be? i've installed that extra USB port card that came with the A7V as well, but I'm not sure that's a problem (although there is another device manager error for PCI Input Device (i'm assuming that's the USB card)if you know where to get the driver for that as well, it would be greatly appreciated, as I've checked ASUS with no luck)

my system setup is thus....

ASUS A7V bios 1007 (the latest)

VIA chipset 4.29 drivers installed

512MB PC-133

Western Digital 20gig HD ATA66

32MB Prophet GeForce II MX (latest 2k drivers)

Philips Acoustic Edge(latest 2k drivers)

I'm guessing that it would be your Ultra-ATA 66 controller. Without the correct drivers, your Western Digital 20gig HD ATA66 hard drive is probably only running at ATA 33. Go find those drivers!

--

Xiven

Oh, thats the Promise Ultra ATA 100 onboard controller. Either install the drivers for it off the Asus CD, you can also download them--they could possibly be new than what's on the cd, or ignore it.

If you installed it, you'd be able to use the controllers for your hard drives. Just make sure it installs then when you reboot make sure its not showing a conflict and then you can shut it down and start using the ATA100 controller.

As for the USB header, Ive had some issues with that working right sometimes and other times not. It should be hooked up to USBPORT on the board, according to the manual anyway, but you could always try the other 10-1 pin header, USBPORT B, I think, or something like that.

There is no driver for it because it's just a generic USB hub, so you dont have to worry about another driver to install.

You can disable the promise controller in bios, but it would still show up in device manager, at least that was the case with the 1004 bios. Its in the boot options menu, if I remember correctly.

*Edit*

I just though of something: The 1007 bios was supposed to fix this, but there used to be an IRQ conflict between PCI slot 2 and the Ultra ATA100 controller. The only way around that is to take whatever card you've got in PCI 2 and put it elsewhere. Im not sure that's it, as I dont have anything in that slot, but the last time I did, thats what the result was.