Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lager_brains

New processors, what do I need to do ??

Please can you advise me what I'm in store for, I've bought some new hardware.

I've recently purchased Dual PIII 1Ghz processors (to upgrade from Dual PIII 500mhz).

I've never removed these things ever before.

Can someone please tell me what I'm in store for with regards to the OS.

Will I need to do anything ?? Or can I just swap these babies over and W2K will boot up no problem ??

I have a SuperMicro P6DGU MB - I believe I have to change some jumper settings on the MB.

Anything else ??

Thanks,

Jez

You should be okay swapping out the cpus. Unlike the motherboard, Windows in general will not throw a fit if you dont do a reformat. CPU's and RAM: you can put em in w/o a problem, unless they're bad.

Ummm... I'll try my best to put down how to take out the slot cpu's.

USE CARE WHEN TAKING THEM OUT! There is a notch on each edge of the cpu cartridge, so usually tipping it up on one side and clearing the retention post first and then taking out the other side should be right. If you can see some pix of it, that should help a ton.

Just make sure to unplug the fan header before you take out the cpu's.

Thanks Brian,

Do I not need to change the 'Core/Bus' Ratio (jumpers on the MB) ??

Supermicro have sent me the jumper settings but (and I am VERY new to this) their list only goes up to x9.5 (FSB100).

Does this mean that I'd have to change the jumper settings to x9.5 which'd mean that my processors will only be performing at 950mhz ??

Jez

Hmm, Im not sure, just because Intel has a multiplier lock so you cant overclock that way. I have a P3 socket 370 that will only run at the speced mutliplier regardless of what jumpers I set it at.

It will probably run at 1GHz, but Im really not sure.

Hi Brian,

Received an email from Supermicro, apparently I don't have to do a thing

'External jumpers and BIOS settings are not used by Coppermine processors. The CPU multiplier leads are hardwired internally and no external inputs are used at all.'

I also checked out Intel's website and they explain removal and installation of these processors.

Thanks,

Jez

Sheesh, Dual 1GHZ? Can I have one? :P

To give you an idea of the performance increase this gives, I did some tests before I transferred the new processors.

3D Studio Max - Test Render;

With Dual 500 PIII - 26minutes 8 seconds.

With Dual 1Ghz PIII - 12minutes

I couldn't believe it myself - over 50% performance increase.

Machine has 512mb.

Upgrade to 1Gb RAM arrives tomorrow.

Spent today transferring all everything into a Supermicro 760 full tower case (which is fantastic).

laugh 8)

You do realize we're all gonna have to kill you now! :-)

I'm pretty happy with my machine, but I could always have faster hardware.... I do like my 10,000 RPM SCSI Ultra-2 hard drives though....

SCSI would be nice, except I cant afford that type of equipment. Hell, I cant really afford my computers now, hehe.

I probably couldn't afford it if certain things were different in my life... I'm single, make a pretty good salary, and live in a house that was my grandmother's before she died, so my bills are low, and I get to buy computers! :-)

Well do you all think abit or anyone ever have a dual socket a mobo

cause that would really br nice