Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arch

Ultra 2 SCSI Question

Ok here goes. I have a couple of questions.

I currently have an Adaptec 39160 SCSI card. Right now on the 50 pin channel (Ch. A, i think) I have my Plextor 8x20 burner using scsi ID 0. Tomorrow I will be adding two Seagate Baracuda drives onto one of the 68 pin channels. Am I correct in assuming that I should assign them ID's 1 and 2 respectively?

Also, I have a cable with 4 connectors on it. The last connector has a terminator on the end, leaving 3 open connectors. Because I'm only using 2 of the 3 connectors, should I move the terminator to the 3rd connector?

Basically,

1. What ID's do I give the drives?

2. Where do I put this terminator thing?

Thats it...

Thanks..

Arch

first of all what scsi id does the controller have? did your adaptec controller use id 7? if so make the id of those hard drives you are trying to install closer to that number. lets say 5 & 6. and obviously place the faster of the two drives closer to the adaptec card. and place the terminator on the last connector but if you really want to play it safe you should get or make a cable with just the right amount of connectors. air is also a good resistor so you dont want any open connectors on the chain.

For accurate and decent SCSI info, go here

http://www.scsifaq.org/scsifaq.html

General long time conventions

SCSI boot device ID is 0

CDROM type device ID is 3

SCSI controller ID is 7

ETC...

But nowaday there's no need to follow such conventions, unless you intend to load multiple OSs with some following very strict conventions, except SCSI terminators or the last self terminated device in the cable chain should always be at the end of any SCSI cables for proper cable termination... There should be only one terminator at each end of the cable chain and none in between.

vaguely related.

I also have a 39160

I'm thinking about getting a second scsi controller, like a 2940

something to control my Ultra SCSI DVD and CDROM.

My thoughts were also into getting a 9GB Ultra SCSI hdd to go on the 2940, then in Linux, I'd have the 2940 enabled, but not hte 39160(which would leave my Windows installation alone)

Here, the question is:

how would I set it to NOT boot off of the 2940's US drive, but boot off their CDROMs?, then go to the 39160's Channel B where I'd have a bootable U160 drive

Within the controller's BIOS setting, you can specify CDROM boot support or any alternative boot device other than SCSI ID 0, during boot-up BIOS screen and pressing CTRL-A for the menu. For more than one SCSI card, use common sense in enabling features for no conflicts, and controller's ROMBIOS address space mappings will provide priority of importance, the controller occupied lower address has priority over one with higher BIOS address, this feature will hold true even for non Adaptech controllers, or non-SCSI controllers depending on how old, or when the controllers were made.