Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Beavis

Network woes

I have done a search on this problem but haven't found a suitable answer so I am going to start this thread.

I have 2 computers running Windows XP and one running Windows ME. They are all connected together by a Barricade router and access the internet through the router to a cable modem.

Here is the problem:

I can access the internet with all the machines. When I have all the machines booted up and running all is well. As soon as I shut down the ME machine the other machines lose the network. I can still access the internet but when I go to "My Network Places" it takes a long time to see the workgroup and then it doesn't find any machines on the network. If there are any shortcuts in the folder I can use those to connect to the other machines but I can't see the machines. Strange?

I think it has to do with my WINS configuration but I do not know what to change.

BTW - I do have DHCP enabled.

You are having name resolution issues, that's all. A WINS server would fix that; therefore, yes, it has something to do with your WINS config as you probably don't have one to mention. Another thing you could do is have all the machines running static IPs (if possible) on your network and then edit the LMHOSTS file on each machine.