Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cardinal

Off topic. the decoding of human DNA, a mistake.

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

I know this is way off as far as normal posts in this forum go, but it's interesting.

I watched an online documentary on the decoding of DNA at

Nova Online

And thought that it raised a few interesting issues. I was more interested in the almost insane belief that America has, where everything has to have a Patent. And, that particular DNA sequences are patented or are in the process of being patented. This is completely rediculous. The United States has long been considered a surreal country, but this borders on psychotic. The drug companies will be the end of all of us. Anyway, if you're on a broadband, check it out.

My two cents in the matter is that the DNA decoding should be stopped. We don't need to prolong the life span of humans any more. Overpopulation is already the worlds biggest problem. And we know, that in a capitalist society it will be only the elitest classes who will have access to this technology.

- Card.

Once we know the genome, the BORGifying of the human race can begin. laugh

No seriously, I think that (like most technology) it's a double edged sword.

We could get ****ed up by it if it gets into the wrong hands or it could save millions from the worst plagues of the 20th and 21st centuries (AIDS, Cancer etc).

They can map my DNA anytime they want, when I'm gone they can clone me and I will take over the world muhahahahaha!!!

PS - Card, did you go to any of the ANZAC services this morning. I went to the one in Wollingong and it was damn cold.

Being a totally scientific and not religious thinker...id have to side with the technology. But, im in the grey area, like you said world population is a big problem, but then again, so is your 3 year old child dying of aids or cancer.

Imagine the most annoying person in the world, like Jim Carey, and have a bunch of them running around. Id go insane! Sometimes one person is enough to make you glad we dont have human cloning yet.

Yes lets clone people. Just what I need, a physical mean to literally mean it when you say you ****ed yourself. ;(

I dont want a second dose of another person regarless of who it is. There is only one of you, and I dont think I want to see me in other than my mirror. Is nothing sacred anymore?!

Cloning organs is a completely different matter, if they can do it without having to clone the whole person for harvesting, thus, screwing them up. Organs that can be modified so they wont be affected by some defect is okay, but this has the definite potential to wreck havoc on mankind. Plus, this is kinda getting into God's domain anyway, dontcha think.

Cloning is something that certain aspects of can be good, but, I agree with felix, technology is a double edged sword, and we could be setting ourselves up for some major problems if this is not treated carefully. As with anything, there is the potential for abuse of it, so we need to tread carefully.

Rimmerworld comes to mind. smile

(if you don't know what Rimmerworld is then .... well ... why not?)

--

Xiven

Smoke me a kipper skipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Ah smeg it!!!

I do not want any bread products whatsoever.

wink

"It's the old, old story - droid meets droid, droid becomes chameleon, droid loses chameleon, chameleon turns into blob, droid gets blob back again. Blob meets blob, blob goes off with blob and droid loses blob, chameleon and droid. How many times have we seen that story?"

"Mr Flibble's very cross..."

Post number 100.... smile

--

Xiven

If anything, clone organs for easier transplants... not full humans. That is just wrong. And I am a scientific thinkier, not a religious one.

I don't think I see anything wrong with cloning a heart from somebody who needs a heart transplant, or liver, or kidney etc. Absolutely no reason to clone a human. How would you feel if you found out you were cloned. There are some points where you have to say "enough is enough". No matter what, human cloning should never take place.

Felix,

Went and saw the march in Melbourne. Wasn't bad. Spent the day in the pub, that was sweet cool