Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gringo

Problem with an old keyboard...

Hey, I have a somewhat old keyboard, although it is new enough to have the windows keys on it (which I readily removed).

The problem that I've been having is that in games like Half-Life, it doesn't seem to recognize more than 3 keystrokes at once. For instance, when I hold down shift to walk, I can only move one direction at a time, i.e. I can't move diagonally. As you may imagine, this is quite annoying, and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it, or is a new keyboard the answer?

With old serial (big chunky connector) keyboards this is a very common problem. It still occurs with certain key combos on PS/2 keyboards though (up-arrow + left-arrow + space does it i think). Since your keyboard has Windows keys on it I'd assume it's a PS/2 keyboard. I'm really not sure if replacing it would do any good or not to be honest.

--

Xiven

I think it has to do with the way keyboards read keystrokes. Sometimes it will even beep at you to let you know that there may be a problem (try holding down s-d-x for a few seconds....) There's not really anything to do about it, except try a different key mapping for that game.

If the key mapping doesnt work, you could always buy a new keyboard, its not like they're terribly expensive or anything. Just a thought....you'll only be out $20. I know this is kinda a dumb thing to be recommending keyboards, but the only component left on my pc since I had my first one, a Logitech Deluxe 104 keyboard. Ive, like blown it out once and it was really dusty, but Id never had a problem to do and I realized that that might be a good thing to do. Ive had this one for 2-2 and a half years and it works great. And I have four cats too.

i recently replaced my old gateway anykey keyboard ive had that keyboard for close to 10 years until my stupid friend spilled bong water on it ruining it, so i picked up a MS nat'l keyboard elite for 23 bucks. Still getting used ot the split design but it is better for typing.