Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TLL

Probably simple network problems

This may seem simple but this is my first attempt at networking.

I am attempting a bit of home networking and have run into a few problems

I have my machine (to be the host) which has a 98SE partition and a 2KSP1 partition. This has an internet connection. I have linked the machines and my problems are these:

1- I can connect the 98 box to my 98 partition. I have to shut down ZoneAlarm. How can I get around this?

2- I cannont yet connect the 98 box to my 2K partition. Possible reasons? The 98 end can see itself but the 2K can't even do that.

3- When I view properties of the Local Area Connection, I only have the General Tab, when I first installed my LAN card, there were four other tabs. How do I get them back/why did they go?

4- Do I need a gateway? At the moment I am just trying to share files, I will sort out ICS later.

Note: Currently the host is set to 192.168.0.1 and the 98 box is 192.168.0.2, both have subnet of 255.255.255.0.

I have looked in Help but it doesn't seem specific enough to help me with these problems

Incidentally, I can ping the 98 box from the 2K but not the other way around.

?

I have just realised that even though the ping request is timing out on the 98 box, every attempt is seen on the icon in the system tray on the 2K box and a packet is received in the status of the connection.

Even more confused?

Help!

Using LAN cards with RJ45 crossover cable.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Ok, I sorted out the 2K connection problem, I didn't have NETBeui installed. I still can't ping the 2K box from the 98 box though, does this have something to do with requiring a password - hence blocking the ping request?

Still missing the extra tabs from the LAC properties, I need this to enable ICS.

I can now access the 98 box from my 2K bix but when I try vice-versa I get asked for a password.

I have tried the Admin password from the 2K box, and the logon password for the 98 box with no joy. I have also tried leaving it blank.

How do I know what this password is, where is it set up? On the 98 box or the 2K box. Where exactly.

Thnaks for listening, I'm getting there.

Mark

I never got ics working on my network (i got 2 win2k machines linked together, one with pppoe dsl connection).

i've been running sygate home network for a few months now and i love it. You should give it a try if you really can't figure out windows ics.

Btw, netbeui is not required to run a network. i never use it, only tcp/ip should be installed on both machines.

One important thing, you really want to have win2k as a server, i ran into a lot of probs when i used win98 as a host (windows randomly crashed, wouldn't shut down,...)