Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CM

Anyone here use Linux as 2nd OS?

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

My first poll *LOL*

I prefer the new Linux Mandrake 8.0 distro

The poll is cool. I was using Linux on another box in the past (Redhat 6/7, Mandrake 6/7, Storm 2000) but I just never really got into it. It's great as a utility server for hosting small things and for remote admin of a network. But the Win2K came with Terminal Services, and I lost the need and desire to fiddle with Linux anymore.

Sometimes I use Mandrake on my test machine, but right now its not on. Im holding out for Mandrake 8.0 so I can buy it, but Im also looking at SuSe 7.1 pro as thats the only distro Ive seen around town in a long time.

Id really like to see Linux suceed, but there has to be major work on it before I can really see it being a true contender for Windows.

In the server arena, yes, but if its really gonna go places, it needs to be a home desktop OS alternative to the Mac OS and Windows.

Linux is a good OS, but Ive found it much easier to setup hardware under Windows. Plus, Windows is a tad simpler for me, and I consider myself learned in computers, not an expert mind you, but Ive had more experience than the average joe, and I just dont see Linux as a really strong contender for home pc's yet.

Ive yet to experience the 2.4 kernel, but I think that is a major step in the right direction for it with the much needed USB support.

I personally think the biggest problem with Linux is that most manufacturers dont provide Linux drivers, and those that do dont provide support for them. If more manufacturers, ie. nVidia, put out drivers at the very least, that will be another major step forward.

But the biggest obstacle, as Ive stated before, is the ease of use. I would never setup some newbie with Linux in its current state, because Windows, and even the MacOS are more average user oriented.

Love Linux, hate to configure it. Right now, its a hobby OS for the most part.

I also don't 'do' dual-boots - unless on maybe a second, removable harddrive.

But, I've tried to get Mandrake, Red Hat, and even Corel installed on my 486DX/66 to play with repeatedly to no avail. I think it just doesn't have the power to run the bloated thing that Linux has become. Even when I tried to put Red Hat on my main computer, it had huge problems with the video refresh [and it's not like I've got a GF3, StealthIII S540 is an old enough card].

Because of this, I plan on using SuSE for my next test run, b/c it supposedly has the largest amount of drivers of any distro.

If I can't get it installed easily, I'll probably just wait until I get some extra cash and pick up one of those happy new SunBlade100s and use Solaris for my *nix experience.

-bZj

I had run Mandrake on its own for a while, but I couldnt network the thing and it was just my test system.

But I do look forward to running Linux in the future. I know Im severely incompetant in that arena, but its fun to mess around with. Im sure I'll have a real blast once I know what the hell Im doing.:D

Im looking at SuSe, but Im still waiting for now.

I was running Red Hat 7.0 for a while, and when I couldn't figure out how to do something like change the screen resolution, I got frustrated and formatted.

Tried to get into LinuxConf, but the commands must have changed since Red Hat 6.0. I just didnt see the point of spending so much time to try to figure out all the real basics, when I could be accomplishing so much more with Windows.

If anybody here is a junkie, icq me or something.. i would like to get some clear guidance as to some basic things...

Using RedHat 5.0 on my firewall box.

I used SuSE Linux for a while, but I got really pissed of configuring it, and I hated the surfaces... so I went to the shop and got myself Win2k ... now I'm happy with my single-boot smile

Just finished installing Mandrake 8.0 and I think it's quite good.

It even had my TV Tuner working first time. The only problem I had was with my second network card as it doesn't use DHCP and it had issues on the first boot.

I also am a big fan of the boot loader screen.

Mandrake 8 good for games now? If not, Im looking into SuSe seriously, because Id like to get a head start on moving away from MS OS's if they start trying to tell me when I have to upgrade my system.

Plus, I like the Mandrake install.

MS has plans for computer world domination!. laugh

not as a 2nd OS, maybe my 4th or 5th choice for one. There's hardly any support for it, hardly any third party support...nah, i don't use Linux unless i'm feeling creative or desperate.

Mandrake 8 is very nice but my USB keyboard still dosen't work and 2D fonts still look like junk this the GUI still need more work. frown

SuSE Linux Professional 7.3 All the way!!!

Its GRRRRRREAT, lots of manuals, lots of software, built in features to make add/remove software and hardware easier, built in features to update the OS online, built in features to recover from system errors! for example, u can boot linux (if u have hard drive trouble) from within Linux setup!!!

SUSE ALL THE WAY! REDHAT SUX! MANDRAKE IS OK!

PS: I voted for SuSE above! wink

Linux was cool during the days of DOS and WIndows 3.11. SOmething to play with, had a command prompt like DOS.

Linux tho was never meant for the desktop. It was meant to be a server OS form the start.

IT will never be a viable alternative to Windows unless the Linux gurus realize how to market it. And we all know the only true geeks to ever market anything are Jobs and Gates. Most of us computer guys just arent great with people.

And with names like 2.4.13 and the like Linux can only be understood by true linux junkies. Intel learned thast using names was better then numbers, Hell why you think we have DNS?

ANyway I like using Linux for servers tho. But only under thew conditions that warrant it, like propietary systems or something. Other then that Linux sucks

installing linux as a dual boot is one of the first big steps into using linux. it took me a couple of months to prepare myself for the plunge.

after installing it (i tried countless times) my next step was to network my computers together: connecting a linux box and a windoze box together. although i eventually figured it out (took me a couple weeks of research and trial and error), i have learnt that linux can be a very powerful resource.

i do agree on everyone that there's not enough companies supporting it, (esp canon wink ) thats y i've stop using linux- i cant do anywork on it since my printer and scanner doesnt work on the OS (yes their both canon's).

what ppl should do is this: newbies learning to use a computer should start out using linux, it will be a hard learning curve. but remember, at some stage ALL of us had to learn how to use windows (dont forget how hard it was). - it's the same thing but with linux.

btw i used redhat 7.0

Kids now get to use a MAc at school and most likely Windows at home.

THey do not need a third confusing OS that was never meant to see a desktop. Linux represents the stoneage in computers. No standard, non intuitive.

It's a good lesson in how far we've come if you want to see where things used to be.

i just believe that children and teenagers at high school should not be exposed to microsoft products (esp windows) their whole time at school. they already have it at home, y not try something else at school? they will be learning how to use different OSes and to use different programs that can do the same job as if it was on windows.

the experience is well worth it.

Quote:

i just believe that children and teenagers at high school should not be exposed to microsoft products (esp windows) their whole time at school. they already have it at home, y not try something else at school? they will be learning how to use different OSes and to use different programs that can do the same job as if it was on windows.

the experience is well worth it.

Now you know what I find funny about this statement, is that in many states I have lived in the Apple systems have been incredibly dominant in the school systems. It was the first GUI I was exposed to, while we were still learning simple programming on Ataris ('89) and waiting for 8088s with these awesome Alps printers to show up smile. Apple knows it has a good thing with the school system, and has had it controlled for many years now. In fact, when MS offered to give away software and PCs to schools in a possible DOJ deal, Apple had a fit and kept crying and whining to make sure that wouldn't happen.

I am all for people learning the different OSs, no doubt about it. I have been disappointed for quite a while now to see so many schools still using Apple systems (they do get great price breaks and sometimes even freebies) since most of the kids have regular PCs at home and will more than likely see PCs in "the real world".

I Agree. Not only does knowledge or familiarity with multiple Operating Systems help the user learn more about structures of Operating systems and how PCs function in general, think about the endless possibilities involved when you know multiple Operating systems. pretty much, If you know multiple Operating Systems you can go anywhere and still be able to effectively use a computer AND stay connected! smile

I am still struggling trying to learn more about Linux and inter-connectivitiy between Linux and windows. Also, as a computer science major, The minute I graduate (like that's EVER gonna happen LOL) the chances are the employer is going to just "magically" EXPECT me to know some Linux, so its certainly very useful. I intend to specialize in installing and troubleshooting Operating Systems, so the time I spend on learning more about Linux is not really a waste at all! smile

The only issue with that is Linux's structure is so far off what anything else does, I believe it can cripple kids learning what I consider the "wrong" way of doing things.

I used to sell Apples to school systems and that are a great advantage cause they teach kids the typical GUI desktop. But just like my old DOS buddies, I surpassed them in Windows cause they were strapped down with archaic ways of doing things.

Same with Kids. They will learn ways to do things that will never apply in real life, and will put them at a disadvantage over other kids who work on real desktops

I did have mandrake 8 installed, but i realised that everything it could do windows 2000 could also do and more, so it went bye bye. Still, ive got a spare drive about somewere, maybe ill give it another go. The 1 thing that really annoyed me about it was that it gives you like 5 IRC programs, and 5 ICQ programs and none of them are any good, i would just like 1 good 1 smile