Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
kazoo

cable modem, help please

I am attempting to use my cable modem on 2 PC's. (have 1 cable modem ofcourse) 1 Win98 & 1 W2K. I'm sure this has been a topic before but can someone point me to a good site for an easy step by step process.confused

http://www.annoyances.org/win98/features/ics.html

People will suggest you use a third party program to share your connection, But I have found through trying almost all of them, that Microsofts bundled ICS works great.

Follow the instructions on the above page to get it working in win9x/ME.

In Windows 2000 it could not be easier. Just open up your network browser, select properties of the network card your cable uses, and select 'enable internet connection sharing on this connection'

- Card.

Be aware that you can't connect the CM to a hub. It will need to run from a PC or via a router. For the PC route, you'll need two NICs in one machine (one for LAN, one for CM). This is how I'm running mine, and it's fine.

er yea you can plug a cm to a hub (providing its ethernet and not usb). I have 3 computers running off one cm, all done through the hub. I purchased seperate ip's though for each machine, but that shouldnt matter when you run connect sharing.:D