Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
riordan

Advice from Win2K vets, please

I really want to move to Win2K at home, but being an Intel flunky at work(you know how that is), I am loathe to 'try' it on my Athlon. I have heard the horror stories associated with KT133 and Win2K. Also with ACPI. I would appreciate some advice from those who have been running it awhile on this platform.

KT133/686b

T-bird 900, stock spd

384MB CAS2 RAM,PC100

Geforce DDR-DVI,32MB

SBLive!

Intel Pro100B

1) Is it worthwhile to play games on? I run ME now, and really love the gaming performance. Am I going to lose alot of 'p'?

2) Am I going to be chasing compat. issues in circles, or are there tried and true ways to run Win2K on this platform?

3) Am I going to lose much gaming 'p'?

Yes, I know, you ask, why so much gaming concern? Cuz I do all my other stuff (besides surfing) on Linux. So besides the stuff I know works (Studio 6.0, other MS Stuff, graphics apps, etc.) I am only worried about losing gaming performance drastically. A little is a small price to pay for stability, but alot is not acceptable to me. Small delta, ok, large delta, I'll stay with 9x.

Thanks for you help, if you have any to offer.

I had WinMe and decided to get the Upgrade Win2000. Will it only upgrade for 95 and 98. So I did a clean install of win98 and then install Win2000 as my second OS on my system. It did it automatically. I just answered a few questions, hit the right keys. It installed great. Much more stable then 95,98, and WinMe. I then installed DX 8.0a and all games except for Tomb Raider 3. But I can install it on 98 and run it there. Both OS's actually run smoother then WinMe. Don't know why but it does.

Now back to your question I have a

KT133, 1000 Thunderbird

256 PC133 RAM

SoundBlaster Live Gamer

Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Netgear ethernet card 10/100

Two 20 gig hard drives

32X cd-rom

Cd-right

Intel USB 2.0 CAM

Helio PDA

Surround Sound Speakers

Scanner

Printer

Lyra MP3 player hers

RIO MP3 player his

Digital camera

WinTV video card(watch tv on pc or what ever vcr, dvd, you name it)

Mic

Tons of games

Giant

Half Life

F.A.K.K. 2

etc............many more don't have enought room.

So you answer is YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! Do it!!!

In games, UT and HL (Im running a voodoo3 3000 AGP on the dual boot) I havent notice a difference.

If you have optimal settings, you shouldnt notice a difference. I could list the tweaks Ive done, but the explanations would take too long, like I could probably write a small volume in the possible tweaks and it would be like putting down the encyclopedia britannica.

Get Xteq Xsetup.

My main rig is posted on the sig line, but heres my dual boot system as it is right now.

Tyan Trinity 400 (Apollo Pro 133A)

Pentium 3 667@700MHz 1.7Vcc on Asus Slocket Adapter

320MB PC100/133(mixed) at 100MHz

Western Digital ATA66 5400rpm 17.2 GB hdd,4500rpm 2.5GB hdd

Toshiba 12x DVD

Voodooo 3 3000 at 184 MHz core clock

SB 16 PCI

Realtek 10/100 NIC PCI

ISA SB compatible sound card.

HP 1280 17" monitor

MS Intellimouse

Generic keyboard

Win2k Pro SP1/WinME promo upgrade.

I dont really like ME, and really dont advise people with 95/98 getting it unless its preinstalled with their new pc.

The only games I havent got working are DOS games, so thats why I keep ME.