Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Questionnaire

Price of XP Pro? ......Hopefully not as much as Win2k Pro, L

Ok guys... I'll just have to wait and see when the RC 1 & 2 that I purchased from the preview deal ship. If RC 1 & 2 turn out the same as what i'm running now, which is exactly what I expected XP to be, then I guess i'll just have to pay more for the extra shiat I want. Win2k features and stability + Win9x compadibilty and multimedia with the option to go dual CPU if I decide to go down that road at a later time. There will be a upgrade version from win98 to XP Pro, right? Upgrade CD's scare me after what happened with millinnium.:( But I guess i'll just give it whirl and cross my fingers.:(

As said before, you purchase the upgrade CD, but you don't actually do an upgrade with it.

You purchase, backup all your data and then wipe your PC.

Now boot from your upgrade CD.

During installation you'll be asked to insert your Win98/ME CD, eject WinXP, insert Win98.

Wait.........

Eject Win98, insert WinXP and away you go.

I don't know how the upgrade CD was for Millenium, but for Win98, NT4 (WS and Server), and W2K Server they have all been the SAME as the regular retail CD other than the fact that the upgrade has a different exe/dll/dwarf on the CD that requires a search for a previous product to upgrade from. This can be either from a previous install getting the upgrade, or a fresh hard drive in which case the install will ask for the old CD to check for license compliance. This same situation has been the same for other products (such as Adobe GoLive!) in which the upgrade version simply asks for the serial of the previous product if you don't have the older version installed. Same install, same files, same extras.