Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jazzman

XP Beta 2 & ACPI.sys

I'm having major issues with pretty much anything USB. (see specs below) When I had my USB Intellimouse plugged in to the USB port, it was very sluggish and would finally end up pulling up a BSOD with an error regarding ACPI.sys. So I pulled the USB mouse out and plugged in a PS/2, and things were fine, until I tried to use my HP 4300 USB scanner, boom - same thing! BSOD with ACPI.sys as the error. Has anyone had any issues with having ACPI enabled on their system? I know how to disable it during setup, but since my machine is working fine in 2000 with the ACPI enabled, I assumed that it would work in XP (I know what happens when you assume :-) Anyway, any suggestions?

--Jazz

Dually P3-1000GHz

Abit VP6

512MB Crucial Cas 2 ECC

Dual WD 30GB 7200RPM Drives in RAID Strip

Voodoo 3 3000

I had seen this problem with Gigabyte boards. But it only happened in Win98 and Win2k (problem seemed to disappear with WinME). I see that your board is an Abit board. Only thing I can recommend is update all mobo drivers and upgrade your Bios.

Originally posted by Jazzman:

Has anyone had any issues with having ACPI enabled on their system? I know how to disable it during setup, but since my machine is working fine in 2000 with the ACPI enabled, I assumed that it would work in XP (I know what happens when you assume :-) Anyway, any suggestions?

--Jazz

I´v got several problems with ACPI on my Compaq, seems like XP and W2k handles ACPI different...

Lasse

I am runnin a dual boot with Win 2000 and XP Build 2458. I have an intellimouse usb optical. I use ACPI multi processor in 2000 and everything works great. The only way I could get things working without all that BSOD stuff in XP was to force MPS multiprocessor. So at least you know you are not alone. -Aaron

Yep, I installed B2462 last night on my VP6. Install was very sloooowww and the mouse would drag across the screen. Setup even BSOD'D once or twice. frown I finally restarted the install and forced MPS Multi. Unfortunately none of my USB devices work. Intellimouse USB optical and Sidewinder Precision Pro. I Might get around to fixing it someday....

Let me know if you have any luck. I did a reinstall last night, and the same thing happened. The mouse skips around, and if you move it enough, it will Blue Screen with the error for the acpi.sys. Looks like I might be waiting for RC1....

I get an ACPI.sys BSOD after installing new drivers and rebooting. I get this BSOD "An Interupt Storm caused your system to hang"

using 2462 personal here with acpi enabled. I have intelli mouse usb n wingman usb working normally. Bur I don't like xp to give same irq to all my devices. I may disable acpi in the bios n reinstall but I'm running me too.

what's the parameter to install without acpi ??

To install without ACPI you just hit F5 where it says hit F6 to load other devices and before it says hit F5 for Advanced System Recovery Stuff. This is done when first installing the OS. Then scroll and select a system type that isnt ACPI. -Aaron

Hi, i had all of the exact same problems. I instlled winxp 2458 on my vp6 and the usb intellimouse mouse was all sluggish and it ran really slow (ACPI version) with MPS spec 1.1 and 1.4. I then installed 2454 and i got the acpi.sys BSOD's and the irq storm error. I then got beta2 and installed that, i never got a acpi.sys error but the usb mouse is all messed up. so i used the ps2 adapter and it worked, but winxp just was still sluggish. I have tried everything, various via drivers, the usb filter, different video drivers, etc to no avail. I then bagged xp and went back to 2k when dx8 totally messed up my gametheater xp, with dx7 on 2k, the gtxp works flawlessly. Damn M$.

Any other ideas would be apreciated (besides non acpi mode).

Ultrix

Anyone have any luck yet with the VP6? I tried to do a reinstall with the MPS Multi, but like DosFreak said, I too can't use the USB ports. Any help would be appreciated, I would really like to use this OS...

Thanks,

Jazz

my VP6 worked great in beta 2, but all I had plugged in to the USB was my printer (printed fine though)

everyone knows that you're supposed to use the ps/2 adapter for your usb intellimouse in the winxp betas come on guys ;(

------------------

Moo

In case of an emergency, break gl***, scream, bleed to death.

VP6-2x700ecc0@1008-256mbpc150kingmax-wd20ata66&IBM45ata100-10x4x32sony-8xcldvd-clap2gts64mb-supadisk-sblive!

Mine is a VP6 and once I realized I couldnt use the ACPI Multi Kernel and installed the MPS Multi Kernel everything worked fine. I have a USB Optical MS mouse and it works fine. However everything only works fine with the MPS set to 1.1 Also I am running the WK bios. Good luck, Aaron

My intelli usb mouse is working without problem under beta2, mainboard is kt133a ,

and acpi is enabled,

I also tried with standart pc installion, and didn't notice any difference. But still my problem is, can't run the second test's high quality part of 3dmark2001

and that drives me crazy !!!!

As I understand it this problem only pertains to multi processor boards and the multi processor kernels of XP so everyone that does not have this, need not post that they are not having problems. -Aaron

[This message has been edited by luders (edited 10 April 2001).]

OK, thanks to everyone's help, I finally got a good install. Leave the Intellimouse on the USB. Switch the MPS in the VP6 BIOS to 1.1, and make sure in the PNP/PCI menu that IRQ assign to the USB controller is enabled. Then select MPS MultiProcessor in the XP Setup, and that should be it. No BSOD's during install, and USB Mouse works great!

Thanks again to everyone!!

I am sure you would stick with 1.4 as anyone without this VP6 would. But since it only works with 1.1 on the VP6 that is what we will use and there are no benefits in our case for 1.4 anyway. Our USB works champ and everything. -Aaron