Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wallsplatter

Beta 2 (build 2462) + Geforce 2 MX... best detontator driver

Wondering what other peoples experiences have been. I'm using Whistler release 2462 with a Geforce 2 MX. With the official 6.50 Nvidia drivers, video (MPEGs, AVIs, ASFs) plays fine.. but Direct3D is screwed up horribly as evident while running 3DMark 2001. However with leaked 11.01 Detonators, Direct3D is flawless, and videos cause an instant BSOD stop error. Anyone else eXPerience this?!

Unfortunately, ure not the only one out there suffering, i just ran all kindsa tests with XP Beta 2 and got the same problems you got. For drivers 6.x and 7.x the Video works great, and lotsa games have all kindsa issues. When u switch over to either then 10.x or 11.x drivers, then ure games are just fine and Media Player blows up as well as my WinDVD when i close it. I guess the choice is one or the other. If u use the default XP drivers for the MX u can get video and mebbe some games might run. I have some games working ok and my DVD/Media Player work ok with the standard XP drivers. But i know not all my games work.

But there must be a way to fix this.

If we managed to get 1101 drivers with the display driver from a earlier driver (6.** og 7.**) it would be great.

I tried as mentioned in the 3dmark thread, to install 1101 with the display driver from 7.59, but I got a BSOD. And after trying to do as mentioned (remove the driver in safemode) it just booted up and installed a complete set of another driver. So it didnt work.

Does anyone know how to make tweaked drivers here?

if you want to make tweaked drivers make sure you use the newer INF and place the hacked drivers in a folder and upgrade. If that doesnt work you will need to turn off system file protection.

Hi

Well the plan was to use 11.01 with the nv4_disp.dll from 7.59,

How do I turn off System File Protection

(after I reboot I get a BSOD right before the Login window.)

[This message has been edited by Galilee (edited 31 March 2001).]

Well i did as explained in another forum about reinstalling the 10.x or 11.x drivers and swapping the nv_disp.dll with one from version 7.x (I used the one from the WHQL version). And like you i got a nice BSOD everytime i boot up into XP, what u need to do, as explained in the other forum is... reboot into safe mode, go into device manager and delete the Geforce MX entry. when u reboot back into XP normally it'll redetect the Display, BUT it'll reinstall its WDM built in drivers. The thing is.. i think the registry is confused, because even though it'll put on the native OS drivers, u can still access all the extra NVIDIA settings in the Display Settings, and if u take a look at drivers versions u should see that ure nv_disp.dll is 7.x while the rest are 10.x or 11.x depening on which version u used. Now my DVDs work good and so do SOME games. Not ALL that worked under 11.x by itself. too bad.. but its as good as it gets for now i guess

AHA! I found a good solution for my problem.

I decided to examine the Native OS drivers and found out they were Nvidia 10.40 drivers. So i went out and i got myself the Nvidia 10.40 drivers to see if mebbe it'll help with both DVD playback and games, since it seems to work for the most part. Well to my surprise, i can play DVDs, watch MPGs and Play my games just fine. A couple games that didn't work with the Native OS drivers work now.

SO try the 10.40 drivers and maybe u'll be as lucky as me.

http://www.3dchipset.com/beta/nvidia/1040/win-2k.html

Thanks for the tip on what driver gives the best all-around performance, Jr8110! I'll have to try em' out first-hand.

Ciao

thanks Jr8110 those drivers are working great here

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500 (SE440BX-2 Chipset)

Triple Boot

Windows Millennium Final Retail (c: FAT32)

Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1 (d: NTFS w/ 4K Clusters)

Windows Whistler Pro Beta 2 2462a (e: NTFS w/ 4K Clusters)

PIII 500 @ 512.8 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs PC100 SDRAM

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM / Core & Mem Overclocked by 20 mhz)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

Yamaha DS1 Integrated Audio

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 W/ 8K block size (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage 1 NTFS partion w/ 4K Clusters)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse USB

MS Natural Keyboard Pro USB

Dell M770 17 inch CRT

Dell E550 15 inch CRT