Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
imtim83

Curious if windows XP will be worth to upgrade to

i am curious if windows XP personal or pro. version will be worth to upgrade to from win2k pro ? Like some of the games that didnt work in win2k pro to work in windows XP maybe. Like may nascar revoultion , twisted mental 2, and sim theme park hehe.

And if windows XP will really be any faster on anything , etc

or will it just be more bloated , slower , use more ram , etc than win2k?

please reply

thanks

I don't know if it will resolve your game problems or not but according to what I have heard it should. Also it will use a little more ram than win2k but it runs much faster already and it is only supposed to get faster still.

[This message has been edited by Four and Twenty (edited 25 February 2001).]

How much faster we talking here please?

curious

cause win2k isnt that slow and i bet windows whistler isnt as stable as win2k was in beta

urg..

1) Get XP Pro always

2) Games that worked in win2k + a lot more work in XP

3) You need like maybe a little more RAM, 128 + is awesome

4) Bloated? ahaha, I love when people say "bloated" about as OS, when of course you can't bloat an OS, because there will always be things you can do to it.

Overall, win2k is bullsh1t compared to XP. And when XP is done, that'll be just the icing on the cake

You want to know details about the speed of it? XP 2428 takes 40 seconds to get to the login screen and another 8 to get to the desktop. Results may very but i think that that is very fast considering the load that i put on it. And what is really quite amazing is its multitasking ability you can easily start running many apps before the os has finished all your startup apps. You can get a whole mess of programs open and it still runs smooth as hell even with all of the nice graphics and alpha blending enabled. It run Graphics and audio like it was beos. They have improved the thumbnail viewing speed dramatically. Just speed in general browsing your computer is faster programs load faster. Network browsing is faster. XP is well worth the upgrade because it is the best OS ever created.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot

Windows 2000 Pro 2195

Windows Whistler Pro 2428

Windows Millennium Final Retail

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

512 Megs Ram

Guillemot Maxi Gammer Cougar (TNT2 M64 w/ 32 Megs of RAM)

Matrox Millennium PCI (w/ 4 Megs of RAM for second monitor)

3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 Ethernet Card

2 x Abit Hot Rod Pro ATA-100 RAID Controlers

2 x 12.6 Gig Maxtor Hard Disks RAID 0 (for system)

1 76.3 Gig Maxtor Hard Disk (for storage)

40X LG CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Iomega Internal Zip Drive

MS Explorer Mouse

MS Natural Keyboard Pro

And not a single piece of software that I actually own

I don't think it will be worth upgrading to XP from Win9x/Me for hardcore gamers, period. But if anyone wants to compare framerates/3dmark scores to my O/C'd 1.7GHz PIV - WinMe system, im game. smile But other than that, if you're not into raw speed and little baby toys that slow down your system, then you'll love it for sure. smile

The Questionnaire

BTW, i'm runnin XP right now on this system smile

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire (edited 26 February 2001).]

anyone that sticks with that for "hardcore" gaming doesn't even need to have a computer, they should be buying consoles, I don't see how XP would not support the same stuff as 98/Me.

I'm not saying the support for games won't be there, just the raw speed of Win9x/Me. smile

And as for console's, heh, now don't go trying to sell me an X-Box now wink Oh, and btw, have you ever compared TV resolution to 1600x1200??? wink

The Questionnaire

yea, I have, but still, for raw speed, XP does just as fine as 98/Me on my machine and i'm sure when it's done, it'll be that way. I mean, gamers want compatibility, gamers want speed, don't gamers want overall performance increases (NT) and things like a full powered Fusion? (the thing that stops dll was screwing each other up).

It's dumb, but it's funny to hear that ppl will stay with 98

For one, i don't know where all these village rumors about win2k not being a gaming OS come from. If your hardware manufacturer is willing to support real operating systems and not just put out a first attempt to write win2k driver and say 'we support win2k', then most of your games should run fine. i have about 40-60 games and only a handful don't work/work improperly. Hell, i'd rather pass up on a single game than use that POS win9x. Any major game engine supports win2k.

[This message has been edited by bug_666 (edited 26 February 2001).]

the ram one processor speed of winME and 9x is what he is talking about. Yeah most games arent written to support SMP but when you can set the processor afinity to real-time on one and regular on the other that has a difference. You need to lay off the crack, not as fast as 9x/ME yeah gotta love that hybrid DOS operating system let me tell you. Not to mention the killer stability you have in 9x/ME too. Yup even MS thinks that ME and 9x are the future that is why they based XP on the 2k kernal duh!!

Just my .02 I love XP so far. It plays my games well after I sorted out some driver problems. The problem I have is the activation code they plan on using. To have to call MS when enough hardware changes are made (if I understand this right) is a true disaster for what promises (and appears) to be a killer OS. If they tighten the activation any further then I won't go to it. That sad for me because I pickup every new OS the MS outs out. I have a major problem when I spend money for a product and then be forced to register it. That should be my choice. The company I work for is keeping a close watch on this and if nothing changes then Win2k and Off2k will be the last new MS product we buy. Remember the stink about PIII's. Lets see if MS is as smart as intel.

First:

You need to change a heloo of a lot of your hardware before re-activation is required.

Even if you do the actual re-activation will be seamless if you have Internet access or take you five minutes over the phone.

If it stops such questions as 'Why won't Diablo II run on my copy of MS 2000 Advanced Server' or 'How do I update my ***** copy of Win2k' then I'm all for it.

Secondly, you will not need to go through such registration in a company environment.

MS are quite aware that 300 workstations all running WinXP and requiring registration would be a technological nightmare.

The large volume/bulk purchases will be different.

Intel never had a significant drop in sales due to the processor serial number.

The drop in sales came when a rival company released a CPU that was a whole generation newer than what Intel had to offer.

As always, nobody is forcing you to buy WindowsXP.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head and demanding you purchase a MS OS.

If you feel that strongly about it, talk with your wallet and simply don't buy it.

MS are not going to loose sleep over this.

How much of a change to the hardware before a re-register remains to be seen. I have yet to see the limits or scope of such change ... or than speculation. If you have concrete information on the exect specs from MS on such a change please let me know. I'm suer it will ease others in their decisions.

Agreed, intel didn't lose becuase of the processor serial nimber because they changed it before mass production started. In fact it was televised on every news station. Why? People want their privacy. No thats wrong ... they demand it! While MS may not care becuase of all the $$$ they have, if enough people scream will they not listen? Then again if your the king of the world who cares heh!

The reason I've brought up Intel and tied it to MS is the simple fact that people want their privacy and will moan and groan to get it. They will also will not purchase a product becuase of it. Lets face it, how many people out there; who BTW know little of this activation scenerio, will say "I'm not getting that so MS can look in my machine". When in fact they aren't really looking (I hope) at all. Its a users perception that will sell this product and you know how that goes. If youv'e worked with enough users you know what I mean.

I think that MS is one hell of a company. Unlike some, I feel that they put out great products. I also think people need to remember that this isn't DOS. The more complicated a system the greater the potential for problems. Also the greater potential for abuse. There will have to be some way to monitor the business end of this because as you say, if corporate America has a different version that dosn't require registration it won't be long before Johnny ***** is running it too. Kinda defeats the purpose of it all dosn't it?

imtim83 - On WinXP build 2445:

Twisted Metal 2: Fail*

Nascar Revolution: Pass

Sim Theme Park (regular and Gold): Pass

* - found the problem(s) and should be fixed for beta 2 of WinXP. Had several install problems, and some severe gameplay issues.

Don't forget to submit your application bugs to Microsoft! There have been no bugs submitted yet on this app. Twisted Metal 2 would not have been fixed for WinXP if you hadn't mentioned it!

I have 3 computers in my house. How can I afford to buy 3 copies of Win XP at 100 to 200 dollars apiece when there is a $600 video card lurking on the horizon AHHHHHH! Time to find a cheaper passion. Hmmm Hookers maybe? wink.gif

LATER

"if corporate America has a different version that dosn't require registration it won't be long before Johnny ***** is running it too. Kinda defeats the purpose of it all dosn't it?"

That's the risk corporate America is going to have to take.

They aren't going to be handing the corporate editions out to just anybody.

They will know who they gave a copy too and if that copy is found on a *****z site it wont take them long to trace it and take whatever action they decide to.

I don't see the big commotion over the activation stuff. Someone will provide a crack/hack for it. Problems solved.

it has been mentioned several times that this activation is meant to deture casual copying of software so businesses wont just install one copy over a network and you wont get johhny sharing it with the whole neighborhood. As for the w*arez side of this it is already known and half admitted that there will be cracks and hacks and they can't stop it.

The activation scheme s-u-c-k-s, big time. Who knows how well it will handle not yet available hardware? I have better things to do than to call MS and ask for forgivness everytime I put in a new card in my PC. What's next - you have to pay a fee per document in Word or connect to and pay Intel if you manage to overclock your CPU ?

RattDawg is right to the point, I also have 3 PC:s on a LAN and think it should be (almost) legitimate to install it there. Sure, crcks will take care of that but still. Besides, say I had a laptop and a desktop not used at the same time, that would certainly make it feel legitimate to only pay once for the OS.

But back to the topic - is it worth an upgrade ? I didn't really see that much new and exciting in it. (2410 tested, don't tell me there is 400 MB of new code since then) Maybe I'm missing something but to me it appeared to be pretty much same silly PR stuff as the W98-Wme upgrade crap. Luna might be cool but hey, there are skins galore as shareware, Next start being the best IMHO. What else - boot a few seconds faster for 200 bucks ? 3 fps more in Quake, or what is this faster we really are talking about ?

This said I have to admit I'll propably buy a copy anyhow just because its newer than W2k. But that is entirely because of a rational defect I have.

H.

what an idiot you are buddy..

don't use xp if you don't want to activate it.

If I was in the same position, I would also put that kind of crap on my applications with all of the stealing that goes on.

You guys are basically saying

"We don't want to pay for software, yet we get mad when they try to stop that"

not to mention your clueless comments, you don't even know the end results and your assuming, it's funny stuff. Not to mention that your also clueless about what's new in whistler, which is basically, win2k multiplied by 10.

lamers

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 01 March 2001).]

Wow, that was a lot of hard fact arguments coming from the same guy who stated "for raw speed, XP does just as fine as 98/Me on my machine and i'm sure when it's done, it'll be that way."

H.