Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Questionnaire

My ideas for XP

Ive been runnin XP here for awhile now, and for the most part like it alot but think the following should be addressed:

1) Make programs like Windows Movie Maker user selectable during the intitail OS install and un-installable at a later time if the user no longer wants or needs to use it. All components should be user selectable during the initial install or un-installable afterwards if it's no longer wanted or needed.

2) Finally let Direct X be un-installable and/or be able to step back to a previous version if for some strange reason a DX upgrade messes up a system for whatever reason saving the person from having to do a complete re-install of the OS (I see this happening to people all over the net).

3) I like the fact that msconfig is in there unlike in win2K. A big plus biggrin.gif for easily disabling startup FUD that some programs like to put in there slowing down the system (cough, realplayer, cough). I'd also like to see a basic resource meter along with msconfig like in Win9x to see what percentage startup FUD might be eating.

4) Make personall edition support dual CPU or drop personall edition all together, because if games and more apps are to start supporting dual cpu, the developers might not want to waste their time coding for it if the general population only has an OS that supports single cpu. Lets make dual cpu support a standard.

5) Make system restore have more advanced settings because when enabled and in use, it slows down system intensive apps (mainly 3d) to much leaving people like myself with no other choice but to disable it. I don't mind it writing to the HD while doing less system intensive stuff like browsing the net or what not, but my idea is simply to allow the user to have system restore be able to be set to not run during user selected apps/games/etc that you don't want it to. The user could simply select the exe/app or what have ya in the system restore advanced settings which would temporally disable it until the user selected app(s) where shut down.

Just a few of my ideas........ smile.gif

The Questionnaire

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire (edited 01 March 2001).]

Haha, so what do you exactly mean by that, James? Should of I just sent them to MS, or does my personal ideas just plain suck icon5.gifsmile.gif

The Questionnaire smile.gif

Well, i'm not a official bug tester like you, just a critique wink.gif and have no idea where to send my feedback to. smile.gif

The Questionnaire icon5.gif

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire (edited 01 March 2001).]

Because I was under the impression that people from MS might be reading forums (especialy XP topic forums) to gather the most feedback from people using it or ideas people had about it, so they could apply to it, what people want in it. smile.gif Or am I just fooling myself icon5.gif hehe

I upgraded to the newest version of direct x, oooppss, my graphics are all messed up now, oh, XP now lets you un-install DX and re-install a earlier version without totaly re-intalling the whole OS and having to set everything back up the way it was until there's updated drivers availible for your VGA! XP saves the day! WOOOOHOOO! wink.gif

The Questionnaire icon5.gifwink.gif

"Look at me, I'm Jdulmage, i'm a beta tester that gets fuked up the a$$ by bill gates on a regular basis therefore that gives me the right to be a total fukin dink". **note to those who are to retarded to tell, i'm being sarcastic.**

One option I would LOVE to see included is WinXP is the "WindowShade" feature ala MacOS. I find that alot more useful than minimizing the window.

I think there is only one ranting here and it seems to be the usual. Anyway nothing wrong with posting one's opinions on a forum that is what forums are for. (say that real fast ten times) smile.gif Anyway window shades would be cool there already close to Mac GUI anyway. Some people need to learn that if they have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Words of wisdom.

Later

Well I think they're both looking for excuses to rack up them posts... Seen it before on other boards.

jdulmage

Questionnaire

[This message has been edited by JBrave715 (edited 02 March 2001).]

Yeah, is it me, or JDulmage being more of a jerk than usual? Pull the stick out of your a$$ buddy, it's an OS. No one's insulted your mother or anything.

Too bad I can't say the same for you.

Yup could be hmm I wonder out of 736 post how many were mindless rants and bashings. I know Ive seen alot. Pages and pages of flames.

Well this is one lame-ASS message board you guys have here icon13.gif

Well, I'll re-register a new name everytime I hit 20 posts, ok? I just re-registered and await my new password for my new name. Back to zero posts every 20 biggrin.gif Happy now??????????

The Questionnaire icon5.gif

[This message has been edited by Questionnaire (edited 02 March 2001).]

Questionaire: Your the only one on here that has an open point of view. You just aren't an MS cult follower

yeah, haven't you noticed that nobody here knows how to take a joke? yep, I have noticed that.

btw, my 700 + posts, only about 20 % of those posts were really nothing, the other 80 % were help. I would know.

Let's see 739 posts since October 1st, there's been 153 days since October 1st so that's 4.83 total posts per day. So 80% of that means you post 3.86 helpful posts everday. But I'm looking at your posts on this forum and most of what I see is crap. I haven't read all your posts since you started posting but judging from this past week I'd say maybe 20% is helpfull.....

Post 741 for JDulmage... pure crap. Unfortunatly we all don't get JDulmages Nazi like humor.

As for removing any program you want it is able to be done you just have to change a file around some. you take sysoc.inf and you edit it so that anything that says hide is delete so if it looks like this

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,HIDE,7

</font>

Change it to this

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7

</font>

Questionnaire, I agree that dual processor support should be standard. I don't believe however that games will be supporting dual processor support any time soon. The Geforce 3 does most of the polygon crunching & the T&L. The processor is left to do the AI & physics, which if you have over a 600Mhz processor, can handle easily. The Geforce 3 has better memory bandwidth than a normal computer & its own 200Mhz processor. I do believe that eventually dual processor support will be standard, but the way graphics cards are improving every 6 months, I don't believe that games will be the cause of the new standard. Of course this is all IMHO.

------------------

Athlon 700 @ 770

Epox 7kxa

256Mb PC133

Hercules Prophet 32Mb DDR

Sound Blaster X-Gamer

Pioneer 16x DVD

HP 9100i CD-RW

2-30gig 7200RPM WD HD

ViewSonic PF790 19"

Win98SE

Full Tower