Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bursar

XP Killer features?

I haven't played with any of the betas, so I'm wondering what the killer features of XP are.

Windows 2000 had a funky new layout, improved reliabilty and security and ofcourse Active Directory.

I don't think offering a skinable OS is really going to entice people to upgrade, so there must be something else there.

In your opinions, which features of XP are likely to turn it into a 'must-have' upgrade?

Some of the features I have noticed/found so far are:

Personal Firewall

System Restore (ala WinMe)

Luna Interface (Themes)

Native Support for Burning CD-R's

Driver Rollback

MSCONFIG (ala Win9x)

Remote Desktop (Terminal Server)

IE 6.0

Improved boot time (or so they say)

Compatibility mode (NT4, 95, 98/ME, Win2k)

These are the things that I have noticed so far. I am sure that I am forgetting somethings. This latest build is by far my favorite Windows Product ever (even if it is a little buggy at times).

I'm sure that others may have mentioned this but I find this feature to be a geeks dream. The ability to run concurrent logon sessions simular to concurrent UNIX sessions. Also built in remote control, and more advanced wizards which allows home users to work with the system without the learning curve of NT.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just curious as to what people consider the best bits of Windows XP.

Being simplistic here, but if the only difference between Win2k and WinXP was a skinable interface, then it's not exactly going to sell well is it?

I've also heard that it allows you to configure multiple network settings for a single LAN card. Handy if you have different network options at home and work. Has anyone tried this, and does it work?

as for the NIC settings Im sure they work though i havent tried em. Also a friend of mine who isnt very computer savvy like we are, tried both 2k and Whistler and he said Whistler was more user friendly and easier to configure than win2k is/was for him. Whistler is also very fast when you have over 128megs of RAM. I have used it with 256 and 128 and the extra 128 made a HUGE difference in whistler where in 2k it only made a moderate difference.

It looks like everyone is missing one of the most important part of Windows XP here! Two words: Application Compatibility. In order to bring the 9x and NT platforms together, Microsoft has to ensure existing applications people use work, but without any sacrifice of stability. Some of this work has been released to Windows Update for Win2k users, but there are many more fixes in Whistler for apps that cannot be released for Win2k due to various architectural constraints.

If you have an app that does not work be sure to send in your bug report to Microsoft and help get your problem fixed!

hmmmm, me thinks about version numbers, oops, stupid product creator put an OS check in for only Version 5.0!! and not 5.x like they should have....oops, looks like the program isn't going to run. (their fault)

You'll most likely be waiting for XP versions of applications and/or patches for that, because frankly, it's mostly the product company's fault.

system restore:sounds good but i hope it won't gobble up HD space as fast as the one in ME

Luna Interface:Blue, blue, and more blue. I find it annoying as hell.

Native Support for Burning CD-R's:I don't think it's native since they admit that they borrowed it from some other company besides, there are probably 1001 apps that can do the same thing. I do have to admit that users won't have to know what 'multi-session' means.

Driver Rollback: Sounds like a great feature that should have been added to win98.

MSCONFIG (ala Win9x): it also works on win2k.

Remote Desktop: Looks good but i think that most promising feature is built-in remote support. It should be useful mostly to home (l)users since many businesses run special apps for that.

IE6.0:hmm, i wonder where WinME SE is?

Improved boot time: it seems to boot a lot faster than Win2k.

Compatibility mode: This is merely fooling OS check that some programs have. If a program is incompatible with nt/2k/xp and there is a check to tell users that it isn't, fooling it won't make the program compatible. XP is NT kernel based and emulation will not solve all the problems although it will solve some.

Fast user switching: VERY NICE.

done your little childish rants?

[This message has been edited by jdulmage (edited 25 February 2001).]